1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recovering from my LATEST bout of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Northland, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I have finally decided to install some crushproof exhaust tubing in my garage after being somewhat overcome AGAIN yesterday in the garage after working on my new back up rig. This is a recurring theme for me in the garage. "Oh, don't worry, I'll only be tuning for a few minutes to set the timing, oh damn....better adjust that TV cable, man that idle is a little high better get to that too.... did I top off the radiator (now that its circulating mind you its been running so damn long)" Pretty soon I decide I'm getting kinda light headed and I should open the garage door. It is like -20 out right now so that sux. Well I open the door and it looks like a scene from Cheech and Chong or something. I get it all cleared out and I start feeling a little woozy... This is my cue....I have been here before and know the feeling.....I'm gonna be on the couch for the rest of the day (and maybe tomorrow) nursing a splitting headache cuz I was too damn stupid to vent the garage...

Ok....so I have established I am stupid. Too many braincells lost in the shop...not gonna mention how many lost to my friends Jack and Bud (Daniels and Weiser to you teetotalers.) Now I will let you in on a little secret....I am a cheap ass as well... payup I want to get some crushproof tubing for my garage. Now I'm willing to pay $15-20 for the aluminum ports on ebay. But DAMN!!! I don't wanna pay $50 some odd dollars for 10' of tubing. Especially when I need at least two tubes for dual exhaust on most of my vehicles. Not to mention adapters etc.

So my question is you all you snowplowing, lawn mowing, turf taming, landscaping fiends..... Anyone know of any shops that could get me a deal on the tubing and possibly the ports I need. Or possibly a shop that may be going out of business.

I know...I know... I will probably spend the money on it.. I always do... I just like to ***** about before hand.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Be cool with the exposure.
    That stuff can kill you, cause a heart attack, fall and get a head injury, take the final nap the list could go on. You can be effected quicker every time you are exposed too.
    If an ambulance ever is called for you, make sure you tell them if you have been exposed recently. The Pulse Oxygen Meter that we use will read the CO as Oxygen in your blood and give a false reading to them. They may see stuff on the heart monitor and end up giving you medication you don't need. You would just need high flow oxygen most times.
    Now are you going to spend the money?
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

if your really cheap dryer vent flex tube should work just fine and a roll of aluminum tape to seal it up. just get some exterior dryer vents for the garage and hook up your flex tube and your ready to go!
  4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Micki has a point about that stuff killing or otherwise F'ing you up. Basically I'm gonna throw that pulse oximeter out the window & fly your a$$ down to the nearest hyperbaric chamber for decompression, and that's IF you're still alive.

On an up note... glad you're looking to make improvements to your current system! An extra $50 now will probably save your family the $5000 casket cost tomorrow

5. Northland

Northland Senior Member

It wasnt THAT bad... :dizzy: But I did almost call my buddies on the ambulance to hook up the pulse ox.... I have never been that bad before. Im usually smarter than that, woulda opened the door but damn it was so cold out. Good reasoning huh...
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

On another note, CO also can be explosive. It's a product of incomplete combustion
    ( hydro-carbons), so if you have the right concentration and an ignition source ---> BOOM. Now you need a new garage door,windows and you have 1st degree burns at the least.
    ( I learned this in Fire Fighter School ) I have a Pro Fire Fighter Card in Ohio.

Like I said the pulse Ox will read CO as oxygen in your blood and give them a false trail. You could end up being treated for a stroke when it's CO at fault.
    Part of my creed as a Paramedic is to educate and train people. So this was right up my ally.
  7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You mean you've done this before?:confused:

I'm sorry, but I just can't quantify the statement "It wasn't that bad........?" You are aware you have poisoned yourself...........right? Multiple occurances in similar fashion.:help:
  8. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I was being facetious in an attempt at humor. In re-reading my intial post I can see why this may have cause some concern. Let me set this straight. Yes I realize the danger in this,I deal with medical calls every day. I have seen and taken reports of many CO deaths, both accidental and suicides. No I was not trying to harm myself if thats what you are getting at Proseasons... When I said it was "not that bad" I meant that it WAS NOT THAT BAD...this is not a regular event at Northland's house or anything. It was an exaggeration to help make the story a little more humorus. The problem with forums like this is you are unable to guage inflection in ones voice wheras you are unable to determine ones true meaning.

Dont get me wrong. I do appreciate the concern on your part. But also show my a real mechaninc who hasnt gotten a little light headed before in the shop. Not saying its right, safe or whatever, just saying it happens and contrary to how my intial post reads it is not as recurrent as I may have made it sound.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007