1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Record breaking winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DanG, Jan 8, 2003.

1. DanG

DanG Senior Member

So far this winter we've already had over 70" of snow here( near Albany, NY.) about 50 of it came within a 10 day period.
    Our seasonal average is only 67.5".

The record keepers say that even if we only get 10" per month for the next 3 months we'll break the all time record for snow amounts and their records go back for 125 years.

I've already started moving piles to make more room on some sites.
    Had to haul out 18 tandem axle dump truck loads from the condo's I'm doing this year to make room for future storms and there's still about that many more truck loads left that they want to leave.
    Plus it just keeps on snowing almost every day(1-3") or just a dusting. With not much of a break in sight.

I'm starting to wish it was summer so I could be doing lawnwork instead of plowing and thats pretty bad considering it's only 6 weeks into the season.:)

If it was up to me I'd send some of it to you guy's who aren't getting any.

Dan

2. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I'm thinking of moving to Albany :)

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

i'm on my way to to exit 17 off i-87. the state's capital seems like the place to be.

4. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Any work for a wayward snow plow???????:D

5. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Guess what?
    As I look outside it's snowing again.
    Looks like I might be out plowing again tomorrow morning.

Dan

6. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

I'll say it's a record breaker!! Almost 5" total for the season so far! We even got a 1.5" whopper of a storm. It has been almost 50 degrees the last few days.....

Must be the new plow I bought. Everyone (but the plowers) from MN should send me a few bucks because I put the jinx on the snow.

payup

7. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Dan is right. I'm just north of Albany, and we got pounded with 4' of snow in a matter of 8 days. It has been snowing here a little every day since new years. I have already this season, used 2x as much salt as all of last year. Plus, snow removal for my bus. is at an all time high. The phone won't stop ringing. This has been the best year for my bus. by far. Good Luck Gents

Rick

8. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Not doing too terrible in Ohio...

Compaired to last year.

:rolleyes:

Snow seems to come pretty steady, not huge amounts just several days worth.

I have not checked for sure yet, but I bet I already exceded last years plowing events.

Looks like 3 more days worth, starting tomorrow.

:D

9. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I'll say it was a record. It got up to 65° today. I doubt if it is even going to snow this year. We got 1/2" Saturday (1/04/03) but none in the forcast for the next week.

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Dan, Ya never know!!! Last year we had a normal total for the year. But it ALL came down in 5 days....
    If you guys get socked again, we're willing to help ya out...

11. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

wish we had a little from albany

Dan reading your post this morning and saying everyone might be just a little jealous of your states snow totals how ever like you say working that kinda snow know matter who you are starts to tax a person mentally and pyhs here in mich we are once again having a poor season two pushes in dec and 6 salt runs i watch the weather and see your area and wonder how you and your equiment holds up, dec of 00 we had 33in in about a 25 day period and thats a piss in the bucket to what ny is getting so i cant even begin to understand how your brain cells are still in tack anyway just wanted to write and tell ya your fellow plowers are thinking about you guys on the east coast and of course we here in the midwest would be greatful for god and ole elnino to spread a little weatlth take care

fred pickering

12. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

We have had 20"(total) of snow in 3 snowfallsin the week after christmas. We to are close to setting a record but for us it is a record income! We average 18 inches a year.

13. copandplower

copandplower Member

Dan I know how you feel. We are getting pounded in Rochester too. We are close to 80" so far, our average is 97". I have 14 trips in so far and we average 18. I am running out of places to put the snow. The $ is great but along w/ my full time job Ive been working 70 hrs per week for the last 4 weeks.
    Looking foward to a break but we have snow forecast for the next 7 days.

Rick

14. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

NY,, hmmm Would make a nice weekend getaway. UGH, the only record we are breaking is for how many times the weather station can change there minds... Start off nice, then as it comes near time for it to fall, boom, back down the the 1-2 we are supposed to get tonight,,, Got to get a spreader.... Congrats on all of the snow guys, remember to send what you don't want our way...

15. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Record snowfall amounts for everyone else.... nothing but a trace here so far... and to top it off, a record temp of 73 yesterday! :(

16. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I feel for you Jay,

It was like that here last year.

17. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

DanG i am with you on this one. We have plowed 11 times so far this year and only plowed 10 times all of last season(including our 7' of snow). So i'm ready for the green lawns.

18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm moving out east. Our biggest this year by the Illinois/Wisconsin border has been a massive 3.5". 50 degrees is nice, but I prefer it to be in April. Oh well, what'll do, cross your fingers and wait.

19. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Ha record breaking winter, thats a joke, here anyways we havent had one plowable snow fall here by the twin cities.
    Hey edrenckh what part of MN r u from. You sure have gotten alot more snow the we have here.