1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reconmended battery/alternator setup?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by cheesycoolguy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. cheesycoolguy

cheesycoolguy Junior Member

I have a 1996 Toyota Tacoma with 6'9" fisher LD. I have a 70 amp alternator and a 840 cold cranking amp battery. The electric over hydraulic pump(insta-act) dims all my lights when used and if I screw around too much at any given time I can cut out the stereo and make the battery light come on. What part of my charging system do I need to upgrade, a bigger battery or a bigger alternator or both? Anyone running a 3.4L toyota, any comments are welcome.
  2. Remerson

Remerson Junior Member

My Tundra doesn't have a much bigger alternator than you do, and I haven't really been concerned about the lights dimming. Unless you have a two battery set up, I think you will see your lights dim when activating the hydrolics. If your engine were to bog down when you move the plow; that would be more of a problem. I would think that either a two battery set up or a larger alternator would solve the problem of your battery light coming on. I suggest you check out Tundrasolutions.com for two battery set ups on Tacomas. Good luck.
  3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If you screw around with the plow a lot, most trucks will do the same thing, if they are electric over hydraulic. Question is are you able to plow with it? Or does it fail when plowing? If not failing while plowing leave it be.

Parking the vehicle and playing with the controls is normally a lot more strain on the battery / charging system then normal plowing.