1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reconditioning a plow frame

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smush, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Smush

Smush Junior Member

Whats the best way to recondition a plow frame? What kind of paint do I use? Do I have to sand it down? Do I use any primer? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
  2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I use wire wheels, and those stiff black paint stripping wheels. The best cheap paint I have found, is the Duplicolor bedliner spray paint. For the money, it is good stuff. Make sure it is in a warm area for a few days when you spray.
  3. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

The way I go about re-conditioning my plow frames is I:
    1. Sandblast the enitre frame and any rust or flaking paint
    2. coat the whole frame with a good self etching primer
    3. I use the Dupli-color truck bed liner in a spray can
    4. coat the truck bed liner with a clear coat to give it a extra shine an protection.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

And how often do you have to go about this repainting ritual? Time for mine this year on the Dodge- was thinking about Rustoleum's Street/parking lot markings paint- says it's good for metal and it goes on thick and dense.

Normally just use Rustoleum "Sunbusrt Yellow"- closest to Fisher color yellow after wire brushing or sandblasting- only had to do that once so far on the Chevy blade (hasn;t plowed in a couple seasons)
  5. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Use chipguard stuff. I found some really good stuff I found at the local napa.
  6. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Tractor & Implement Paint

I use tractor & implement paint. The stuff I get is from Farm & Fleet, but don't know if those are around you. t is made by Valspar. The also have marine prep wash and primer. I haven't tried that. This year I got enamel hardner to mix with it, maybe make it more durable. I didn't do a great job last year, and it held up and am doing a better job this year. (Massey Ferguson Red)

I plowed Valspar plant here last year. I like to support my local business, and have a friend that is in management.

7. 4speed

4speed Member

Prep Prep Prep!! Sand blast and wipe down with solvent. which ever paint you choose will last a long time if you prepare the surface properly.