1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended size alt for plowing

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jimmysnowbasher, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jimmysnowbasher

jimmysnowbasher Junior Member

Hey im new to the site and was curious, when im plowing snow with the jimmy its fine for about 15 mins, the blade works nice up and down side to side with the heater running and stuff. However after that i notice that the blade wont go up all the way and when i try to move the blade my heater starts to cut out, Im running duel batteries and the alt that was in when i bought the truck. Is this an issue with the alt not keeping up with the hydraulics and other stuff running while plowing snow? Any advice is welcomed thx very much.

The current alt in there is i believe an 80 amp

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea that's a tad small. Try getting a bigger one. And adding bigger cables and extra gnds. Also don't run you heater on high and limit unnecessary plow movements. I would also load test your batts as well

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

What kind of plow? Today's plows should work fine with stock charging systems as long and everything is working properly. Load test each battery separately and test the alternator. If it's an old plow, like a cable style Western, they use a lot more amps so an upgraded alt may be needed. Or the plow motor may be going and drawing excessive amps. But start with testing what you have first.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Today's plow will pull 160+ amps when ya hit that little button.

When was the last year the Jimmy produced?

5. dieselss

The s10 one or full size

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

7. jimmysnowbasher

My Jimmy is an 81 fullsize, and the plow is quite old i would say around 10 years it uses a monarch hydraulic setup under the hood mounted on the wheel well with the lines run through the grill. Not sure what type of plow it is ill have to take a couple pics and see if anyone here could identify the unit.

8. dieselss

Nomad or monarch? Northman even

9. jimmysnowbasher

says Monarch on the pump and no stickers or identifier on the plow the controller is a whiteish colored box with two toggles for the up down and left right and then one other switch for the lights

10. dieselss

K I was just guessing. Pics are worth the words

11. jimmysnowbasher

here are a few pics i took a couple mins ago not sure if this helps.

20140902_184031.jpg

20140902_184038.jpg

20140902_184100.jpg

20140902_184119.jpg

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Well the plow is not the electronic problem as far as amps anyways

13. dieselss

That actually looks like a western plow
    As far as alt, again Ck each battery separately. Load test the alt as well. But upgrading to a bigger alt will help. What fluid are you running in it?

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

are both batteries the same age and size?

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

???? maybe for a split sec at start up and then when it deadheads but I see 80/90 amps regularly (100/110 not uncommon,) if you are pulling 160 amps constantly from the get go I'd check things out.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod::nod:Old conventional Western with an aftermarket pump.

Check everything power side, could be crap alternator, beat batteries, heavily corroded power and ground cables, a poor ground (or two,) A worn or dirty(internally corroded) motor, pump bind, clogged filters, molasses substituting for fluid.

First thing upgrade alternator(80 amps isn't going to make it,) check batteries, clean power cables and grounds. Some electric motor cleaner wouldn't hurt neither.

17. jimmysnowbasher

the work continues

Well ive upgraded the alternator, the batteries were brand new just this spring and they are both checking out good, Ive gone over every ground cable i can find and pulled them out wire wheeled the connections and reconnected. The plow is working good and the heater and stuff working great but my headlights still seem dim to me. Ive got the four seperate headlights and during the summer i like to use those instead but only the top two light up .. lol the bottom ones wont do anything and if i hit the high low foot switch it just turns the top ones off. Ive replaced that switch but still the same. omg i hate electrical stuff.. im a plumber by trade.

18. dieselss

Well lights diming are kinda normal for plowing. Just remember, low heat and unnecessary electrical draw

19. jimmysnowbasher

lol ok... i live in northern saskatchewan and regularly gets down to -45 so low heat doesnt cut it. But this headlight issue is on even without the plow working, would just having the electrical hooked up to the pump during the summer dim the lights that much?

20. dieselss

If the plow isn't working i.e. up left or right how do you know you have dimming lights