1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rbachman, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rbachman

rbachman Junior Member
    from Iowa

I am new to this forum, I live on 2 miles of gravel which drifts badly. I have a job 25 miles away that REQUIRES my being there with no delay. I am considering an older 4X4 with a blade to get me out and there. But have no idea what size & features I need to look for.

Lurking I can see more power is better, but I am looking only for getting myself out, not plowing for a business. Of course I want to do it as cheaply as possible, but not so cheap I end up regretting it.

I am very concerned with large drifts. I can get some 5' drifts in my drive. I currently have a small utility tractor with a trip loader for the drive. Hoping to sell it to offset the costs of 4X4 & plow. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

May have got better prices in the early summer and before cash for clunkers but if you really do some looking around you can find something still this year.

In my opine and what I have found to be most reliable (since you are counting on getting to work) would be a older GMC. Try to find a 2500 or 2500HD if you can as a used one with a plow will be in better condition the heavier the truck was to begin with.

I sold a excellent condition 88 GMC 2500 with a 1987 western pro plow attached to it for $4500 last year. If you look hard and depending what you are willing to drive as far as rust or heat working and such you may be able to find something cheaper.

Since you are counting on it to plow out big drifts and have to get to work I would make sure it ain't to much of a beater. A v-blade may be better for a 5 ft drift I guess it depends on the plower. I have never had a problem with a straight blade myself.

Good luck and don't be afraid to drive a couple hundred miles if the truck may be worth it.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Reapers advice is pretty good. I would strongly consider a Vee plow. It's nice to know you can get through without getting pulled off to one side.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I think the last 5 foot drift I had to deal with was in the early 90's in southern Illinois on a road that ran along side a corn field and houses on the otherside.

Road? What road? We don't need no stinking roads! :drinkup:
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check craigslist or ebay for a cheap plow truck.
    Your gonna want something dependable enough to get you to work, so you may need to spend a little more money.
  6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Wouldn't hiring someone be cheaper, or is that not an option?
  7. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Get a blower for the tractor and you're set.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How big is your tractor? If it's big enough a blower would work great like Black Irish said.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

10. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I also would go for a Vblade if you are in large drifts. I just picked up a 2000 GMC 2500 with a boss V and a boss 1100 salt spreader for $5500. Just keep your eyes open for good deals and be ready to buy when you see that great deal! Watch craigslist everyday, this time of year, things go fast if the price is right!! Good luck and let us know what you decide on!
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Grandview - is that powered by Tecumseh, or Briggs & Stratton?