1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations to clear a 25 acre gravel lot with pusher box

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joester, Jul 27, 2011.

1. joester

joester Junior Member

Gentlemen, I am in the process of preparing a proposal to clear a 25 acre gravel lot. Currently, the lot is fairly smooth and level, with tightly compacted stone. I will have access to trucks, backhoes, and wheel loaders. We will have 12-20' wide pusher boxes on site clearing other paved lots nearby. I am looking for any recommendations from anyone else with experience plowing large gravel lots on what works well. Obviously, the box would be best, held 6-10'' off of the ground. However, that can sometimes be easier said than done. Has anyone considered fabricating extra wide skid shoes for a pusher box to allow it to slide over the gravel easier, since there would be less pressure. Also, should I consider raising or lowering the rubber edge? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
  2. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

We have a lot that has a big gravel area in the back. The main concern is the first push or two before things freeze up good. I find that the pushers with rubber edges work best. In our area it usually freezes up good and the rock and gravel will freeze down and the snow will pack into the low divets and than its smooth the rest of the season. If you get a lot of thawing and freezing throughout the season you might have to be more careful. If nothing else just move your shoes up on your plow a little bit I guess.
  3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have also noticed a lot more resistance when plowing on gravel so maybe run a smaller pusher than you would typically. The first pass is that hardest, as is the first snow. As said above once you get the ground frozen its really not that bad.
  4. leon

leon Senior Member

gravel lot

About your gravel lot;

You would really be money ahead if you used even the
    smallest road grader for the season with or with out a wing blade.

The grader would have a 12 foot blade that can be offset in either
    direction and with six wheel drive you will have no problems.

You could use a small road grader and use a small pusher to
    handle the snow to stack it if needed.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I hate to say it but buy an Arctic Pusher. We use to have an 8 acre gravel lot and it was always a chore to plow and everyone complained about plowing it and after we got the Arctic it made life easy. Rubber pushers are a waste of money IMO.
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I would have thought the scraping action of the arctic with the freeze thaw cycles would have made the lots a pain to do......... who'd o' thought.......

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

The original poster says he has access to trucks backhoes and loaders why would he go out and buy a road grader when he has this stuff already.

I like the idea of the wider skis on the pusher. I would love to hear of results if you did that. I think it would make things alot better.

How many machines to plow 25 acres?
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ok I might add that our lot was a well used trucking yard and they wanted it black or should I say sloppy all the time, the Arctics don't dig in they seem to ride on top very well. Try it out on a semiloose gravel driveway you'll be surprised. Trust me I have bad blood with Arctic and I wasn't even going to post what I thought except I thought the OP would benefit from it.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Years ago we did a large gravel lot and if my memory is correct the rubber edge box didnt work well. I think we threw an 18ft box together and just left it steel with no trip we made it heavy and after being a little careful the first few snows it worked well. I know I will probably get heat for having a box with no trip but it worked for that job at the time.
  10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I was surprised you didn't sell him on Ebling. Who says you hold grudges...........:)
  11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

12. Petepal

Petepal Junior Member

I have about 60 acre lot of truck parking on asphalt grindings. There's a lot of freeze/thaw here in Chicago. I have been using a Pro-tech IST16 steel edge with poly hinge. The cutting edge trips a lot and stays tripped even with the cutting edge set high. Do you think the arctic might work for me? Did you have issues with stone/dirt making the sections hang up?