1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations on Hideaway LED Strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jeff11769, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jeff11769

jeff11769 Junior Member
    from Ma

Hi All
    I am looking to install LED strobe lights in my 09 Silverado 2500. I have been looking at the Whelen Hideaways but would like to hear what you think. I would like to put 2 strobes in the tail lights, one in the back up lights and one in the brake light. I would also like to put one pair in the front not sure where yet. Would like to hear any product suggestions that you may have and if possible if you could provide links to any suggested items.

Thanks for all the help.
    Jeff

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Whelen Vertex

Get the Whelen Vertex LED Hid-A-Way there amazing and bright and mount any where they also have a ton of flash patterns i love mine ! ! ! ! !

www.sirennet.com
    www.strobesnmore.com

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I just got the amber vertex' also. I should have some video's sometime soon once I get them all mounted up.

4. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I would go with the vertexs also, I have the amber ecco led hideaway which is the same as the nova in my 350 and it puts the light out with like 12 patterns, but the vertexs are actually a bit cheaper. I'll be getting the vertexs next.

5. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

the vertex is the king. I would not get any colored ones thou. the "amber" shows up canary yellow. the "red" shows up amberish, the blue is almost white. Go with white and it will be bright as all hell.

6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

That is true...you are better off puttung a clear head in a colored lens for the best brightness and clearest color

7. Sledhed05

Sledhed05 Junior Member

I also have an '09 2500HD and I am wondering if the hideaways will fit in the 3rd brakelight/cargo light. Does anyone know if this will work?

8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

As per whelen you put a red LED in red light, amber or clear in a amber light and any color in clear. They claim because of the light spectrum of leds a red in red is brighter the clear in red with the leds, That is just what Whelen themself told me. Its different then strobes colors. Who knows.

9. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

The clear whelen ones are much brighter than the amber ones. I ran them side by side in the same display unit and I nearly went blind with the clear. You could still look at the amber one when it was on. FWIW, I would only run amber though, just my preference.

10. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

It would be nice if the amber vertex was actually amber and not vivid canary yellow.

11. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

I'm confused how the Vertex works if theres no power supply? Can you do a 6 light system? How do you control them?

12. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

it has a very small inline control box, and you can select the pattern by touching the pattern wire to a live power source. You can also link them together to sync all the bulbs together. You can check it out on whelens website.

13. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

from what I have seen the brake lights are not nearly as strong as the reverse lights, I'm having them installed on my truck on wed so I'll let you know.

14. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

LED do no not need a powe supply they have they own built in lamp driver led run on low voltage and at sunced together

15. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

16. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

they look good, what are they?

17. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

Buy them from strobesnmore i really like there system. i use the standard strobes its cheaper than led's any i got 14 different flash patterns.

18. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

Thanks...no storms to test them with yet but they're made by omega solutions, #STR604D, 60 watt 4 corner kit. I had the guy custom wire the switches to the blank on top of the airbag on/off switch. I was told 90w will melt the lens, and I had them installed by the Enthusiast on Atwood Ave. In Johnston, RI

19. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

I agree LEDs are way to expensive regular strobes are fine

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

uh, 4 Vertex units cost the same or LESS than a 4 bulb strobe system with power supply.....
    Sirennet (among other places ) has Vertex's for $66, X 4 is $264. Cheapest name brand supply and tubes I have seen is a 15 watter at $200, and that's almost useless, cheapest 30 watter I've seen is $265....