1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations needed for '08 Cummins 3500!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RRRColorado, Jul 5, 2014.

1. RRRColorado

RRRColorado Junior Member

Our business is going to offer commercial plowing to our current commercial customers, but we have no idea which plow works BEST for an '08 Dodge Cummins 3500, which we just purchased. Our current snow services are just sidewalk crews and salts, but we really need to add a plow to our truck to take care of the rest of the property. I've read a lot of posts about best plow brands, but there doesnt seem to be an overall favorite.
    I'd really like another Dodge owner to give us feedback and some details as to why a certain plow may be recommended for that truck. I realize all the plows are meant to be universal, but the Chevy and Ford guys are all over the place with recommended brands.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Ask a 100 people and you will get a 100 opinions on whats the "Best" Plow....

Start off by seeing what dealers are in your area....Dealer support is key....

As for the best plow......Ask a Boss guy and that plow does everything including wiping your rear after a Poop.....:dizzy:

Ask a Westen Guy...That plow will cook you dinner while plowing....:eek:

See where im heading with this....Find what dealers are in your area and go in and talk to them .....Look at the products they offer and get a feel for their operation.....A new plow is gonna cost you $ 5000 to $ 7000 grand depending on what you get....That's a lot of cash....Be a smart consumer

Fisher,Western, Blizzard, Boss , Snoway, Meyer, Etc all make decent plows...
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^^^ good stuff

My Western tends to over cook the lobster tails. If its a dually, buy the widest plow offered.
  4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I agree with Defcon5. Dealer support is paramount. Everything else is frills.
  5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Not ashamed to say I think Fisher is the best. But, I run Fords. Not that it matters, because it doesn't

I would put a 9'6" Xtreme V-2 on it. Invest in the Fisher made wings, and you end up with an 10'6" wide scoop. Pull them for deep snow busting in V mode, or when stacking in stiffer snow.

If Fisher isn't locally sold, then the Western equivalent would be next if it were available.
  6. 1olddogtwo

I think you mean to say 11'6. The black wings add a foot on the flared plows.
  7. Defcon 5

If you were looking for properly cooked Lobster.....You should have gone with Fisher since they are up in Maine.......:drinkup:
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer the predd blizzards as they can crush walnuts and penuts with ease.
    There is no good answer. You read posts and threads and still think that there is a perfect plow for you based on others opinions? Never gunna happen. Dealer support is the only answer
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

OP, would also help if you would provide more info on the type of accounts or lots you are plowing. That's more of a determining factor than truck brand IMO.
  10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Oh. I was just going on Fisher's website, but I did wonder, because a video I watched where a guy added the wings to an XV-2 and measured it straight showed it to be 11'1".
    Even better! I will be having them on my XV-2 this year. I have a few contracts where they will cut my time considerably.
    Thanks for setting me right. I dislike giving purely wrong info.
    The video.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  11. 1olddogtwo

Mvp3 was like 11'4 or something like that before I sold it. The wings come with stops. 650 was my cost.

Anyways, OP good luck on your pick.
  12. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I've got a 03 3500 SRW Cummins... put the biggest plow on it you can... even with some dealers telling you that you can't because of the weight. Run something like timbrens (I haven't stepped up to that yet) but have new Dodge 988 springs waiting to be installed. You don't say what size bed, crew or standard cab, DRW or what. I hate making a turn only to drive over the snow rolling off. I like the down pressure snoway has. I have the 29HD and wish I had the wings. I was told they can't put the 29R on my truck...(? WT?) Maybe I should have got the Revolution HD but I was a little gun shy with the weight. Maybe next year.
    I was told by other brand dealers that they could only put a 7.5' or maybe 8' lighter weight plow on it because the engine weighs so much. I hate having a narrow plow. Height doesn't bother me as much. I ended up getting an old dealer leftover. Wanted something 8.5' or more but...
    Oh, I run at least 1000 lbs in the back, really nice having over 2000 lbs back there. For a few snows I had about 3000 lbs. Try it and you will love it. Will push just about anything. No slip, no slide, no spin.
    But yea, the others are right about local dealers. Personally the most important thing is the controler. Get a funky/crappy controller and plowing will suck. Put the thing in your hand and push buttons like to use it like you would plowing.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You should buy a Ford.

Oops...........thought I'd jump in with recommendations that have nothing to do with the question. Standard MO usually.

Go big or go home. In Denver, a V would not be a bad idea. For those once a decade 5' storms in April.

Skip the Timbrens and go with airbags, wish I would have not been sucked into the Timbrens KoolAid long ago.
  14. Defcon 5

What are you talking about........You need a "V" to Rip through those drifts...Atleast that's what it says in the Video.....:eek:
  15. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I run a '13 Ram 2500 diesel, and not that it matters which make truck you have, but you asked. I put on a whole lot of hours last Winter and had zero truck or plow troubles. As someone mentioned above, go with the largest plow you can. Dealer support is the most important factor unless you're going to do all of your own mechanical work. Which dealer will be open at 3:00 A.M. to fix your plow in the middle of a storm?