1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

recommendations for plow on new truck...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kohls L. Co., Feb 28, 2006.

1. Kohls L. Co.

Kohls L. Co. Junior Member

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1998, Chevy, 454, 3500HD dump truck and was looking for some advice on what type of plow you would recommend. I got a good deal on it and bought it mainly for landscaping but it's set up for a snowplow and salt spreader. Especially, if anyone has any personal experience plowing with this type of truck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

2. DrivewayKing

DrivewayKing Junior Member

Nice Truck From the pictures you take the plow mount is a Western Uni-mount setup with central hyd. control. First lever should control the dump box second lever should control plow up-down third should control plow left-right. Now start the salter i am not to sure, for the small control just under the three level is there one or two knobs on it with a lever. If you can take a few more pictures of the back & both sides plus a a better picture of the controls I maybe could tell you the type of spreader it had on it a one time. I hope this was some help and I will check back to see if you got anymore pictures.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

First off I wouldn't go TOO big b/c it 2wd...But I also woulds go atleast 8.5 so you clear the rear wheels when turning.
  4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Welcome! Nice ride! I had a 91 with a 454---4x4 dump--- 9' staight blade .Whatch out for overheating problems and if it runs hot make sure you don't overheat it-The heads are prone to cracking! There are many posts on this subject if you do a search!
    As for a blade yours is 2WD? Hard to tell from pics, but couldn't tell either way. If it is must use ballest and make sure whatever you decide on for a blade at full angle that the rear wheels have clearance -So your not driving over unplowed snow. You can use link above to plow suppliers to see what they suggest and measurements what thier blades push at full tilt! Best of luck with your new ride!
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yea get yourself a 9' uni mount western with a central hydro package. Then a stainless steel swenson under tailgate unit. Then just make sure you got at least two tons of weight in the back at you will be fine in 2wd.
  6. Kohls L. Co.

Kohls L. Co. Junior Member

That's guys for the replies.

Looks like the 9' footer is gonna be the best way to go. I'll talk to dealer about it and see what he recommends. I was guessing that ballast was going to be needed.

Thanks again!

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck. Good engine choice. The 15K GVW in them make them useful.

First thing I would invest in would be new rear tires.

Get a nice set of snow type tires. They're 19.5's so they're not going to be cheap.
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Good lookin' truck!!xysport
  9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Nice truck. There's a guy a few roads down from me running that same truck with a 10' Fisher with wings. Hope it all works out for ya.