1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a used plow...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Emeraldturf1013, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Emeraldturf1013

Emeraldturf1013 Junior Member

Looking to pick up a used plow for plowing for the first time this year. Seeing a lot of western's and leo's. Boss's and Blizzard's seem out of my price range 2000- 2500. Any preferences on used plows?
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

First things first. Find a dealer that is close to you and has good customer support. That way if you break it, they will fix it. Anyone can recomend a plow to you, but in the used market, you should make sure you have dealer support close to you, since you have no idea what you'll run into with a used plow.
  3. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

unless you are just plowing you own driveway; a new plow is probably a better option. Dealer support is huge; unless you can wait 5 days for parts ordered online to show up.

I just got a used plow and had to dump all kinds of money into it; it was still worth it because I got it cheap enough, but it's a much bigger hassle that most people don't want to deal with.. Check out the link for more reasons why not to buy a used plow: http://www.meyerplows.info/buying-a-used-meyer-ez-classic-plow.html chances are if you can't afford a new plow; you really won't be able to afford a used one after it starts breaking down...IMO.:nod:
  4. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

If you can find a used 8'6" Leo for a decent price, I'd jump on it. They are simply the toughest plows I've ever seen. They're pretty much DOT quality plows for light duty trucks. Also, they're simple, and easy to work on if needed. Parts are cheap, and Truck Utilities' parts department is open until midnight during the week. I currently have a Blizzard power plow. I love the scoop feature, but the initial expense, maintenance, parts prices, and the PITA they are to work on will prevent me from ever buying another one. My next truck will have a shiny new Leo on the front with manually removable wings. I've spent more dollars on parts, and more time fixing this Blizzard in the 3 seasons I've owned it than I have with 10 seasons of plowing with 3 Leos combined.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

wait till spring...plows are cheaper and it will be hard to get new accounts this late