1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

recommendations for a great plow for truck?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by fourseason, Sep 19, 2012.

1. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

hello everyone great site you have here looking forward to contributing .
    I hope i have posted this in the right area of the forum if not i apologize.

Im an establish snow removal company looking to put together a newer plow truck.
    Looking for everyones expert advise on a new truck plow.

I have a 2005 dodge 3500 diesel looking to plow it up!!

A few things to note - money not too much of a concern but don't want to be too crazy
    - i do condos and light industral and commercial ( a few strip malls)
    - REALLY interested in a quick attach model ( my meyer is older and sucks to take on and off.

Also looking for info on a box sander . my 2005 is a long box any advise on here would be great appreciated aswell.

im debating putting air ride on the truck swell

Thanks very much for any info :)
  2. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

if it is a dually, go 9.2 boss extreme v or western wideout, all are easy to put on once you get used to it.

wideout would be good for the large lots because plow can extend to 10 feet saving you time and money, v plow is good if you dont keep up with the storm, and you need to break through....

sander....aluminum salt dog
  3. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

go western/fisher or boss. both plows come off in less than a minute and connect back up in about 3 minutes. For a dually you want something wide atleast 8.5 . For a 2 yard salter, get a 8ft stainless.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I would buy the largest, and most versatile plow out there.

Check out this link..... One of the members here did a really great comparison.... and it's loaded with PICTURES !

What a great writeup.....:redbounce
  5. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

wow well thanks everybody that is some great info !! i will post with what i end up getting. cheers here to a snowy winter Thumbs Up
  6. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I'd throw blizzard in there too they make some great stuff especially if your going with a powerplow/Wideout. One of the benefits is their significantly lighter then the wide-out I don't remember the number off the top of my head. they also can be controlled from the headgear for easier hook-ups. But with that the lift point is under the truck.

Which gets to what I like about the western, you can very easily short chain it if something goes wrong, where you would have to ratchet strap a boss or blizzard up if it were to fail.

I haven't used a boss myself but I've heard mixed reviews. Most who have them rave about the, but there are a few things worth noting.

If you look at a boss remote vs. a western or blizzard, the boss you can only control the blades independently, where on the western you can operate them together or apart.

Some say due to the hydro ram lift it can't stack as high, but at the same time I've also heard people say that it can stack higher.

As proven by the western tests, the Boss V's trip edge cannot trip on stack mode.

Also as proven in the review of the wings and by many others who use boss products, their welds and material are thinner then competitors.

A good friend mine ordered 2 boss V's but the dealer could only get one, so they gave him a free upgrade to the extreme V, he said with the flared blades it's harder to tell what angle the plow is at.

I'm a firm believer in personal preference, and I'm sure there are many draw backs to the western and blizzard plows, I just haven't come across them yet. Hope this helps.
  7. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

Thanks a bunch willman i was starting to lean towards a blizzard plow i do like that they are lighter (easier on front ends) and dodges are a little tempemental in the front end i did just spend $6000 replacing it want it to last ;) thanks again everyone has been VERY helpful.
  8. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Fisher 9.5 V with a 1.8yard fisher polycaster will work.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Lots of incorrect information

You own stock In Douglas Dynamics???
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

On a 1,000lb plow the Blizzard is 16lbs lighter, I'm not sure that would be considered significant.
  12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

What an inaccurate post, you clearly have no experience with Boss plows.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd also like to know what "stack mode" is. Can't say I've ever seen that button on a Boss controller, although I haven't seen one that only allows a single function at a time either. Except for in a competitors video. :rolleyes:
  14. fourseason

fourseason Junior Member
    from edm

Thanks everyone for your comments much appreciated. I've noticed everybody seems to use salt or sand salt mix down there. Up here pretty much everyone used 4mm rock chips to cover parking lots ext (cost of sand and salt much more and availability not great
    ). only road crews use rock, salt and sand .In the past i used a barrel type pull behind with rock chips worked fine just alot of man power thats why im upgrading to at least a 2 yard spreader.Most or all spreaders I've seen advertized so far do not recommend or even mention using rock chips. love some more input !!!
  15. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

IMO the blizzard wpeeding is a completely retarted design you couldnt pay me to run a plow like that, dont get me wrong tho i love the 8611lp.
  16. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I was/am wrong.

For the record, I don't own stock in Douglas dynamics, even if I did one sale wouldn't do a whole lot for me. As much as I thought I made this earlier, I have no experience with boss, only western and blizzard.

As I said in the post, my knowledge on boss plows comes only from posts on here, and my friend who bought 2. I'm sorry I didn't make that clean enough.

Yes infact I did miss the court case where said videos were less then truthful. The reason why I said that it was a western test, was that I figured it goes without saying that if one of the involved brands runs the tests its going to be biased.

My comment about being significantly lighter, comes from being at a dealer, they had the two side by side and I could move the blizzard easier then I could the western. I thought I remembered the number more significant then that but I AM WRONG.

The thicker steel comes seeing multiple posts here about how people welded more cross members into boss plows for more support.

"Stack Mode," HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING BOSS EVER SAID, it was my best attempt to describe when both wings are forward in a forward facing V, to try and communicate what I meant better then I did on the "not being able to see the plow, issue."

The harder to see wasn't an issue of seeing the plow, since the flared shape always has a V to the top, he said he had a harder time judging what angle the plow was at versus the straight blade where since the top of the mold board was flat you could tell by looking at them. That's not a wonderful way of describing it, but hopefully you get the idea. If you would like to ridicule me feel free to do so, but you have no quarrel with a man who has said nothing to you.

Feel free to tear this post apart, but please do it in a PM unless it pertains to something that has not already been brought up. I've been wrong before, there's a fairly high probability I am again. My intentions were to help, not to bash boss, Which is why I said at the bottom, I'm sure Blizzard and Western have their draw backs, I just haven't come across any yet.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and I apologize for offending/misleading you.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

"wpeeding"- is that a speedwing?

They are fantastic plows. I know 2 guys running them and both have them on 1/2 tons. They will out plow any straight blade out there and are far lighter then the power plows. The trialing wing always goes straight when the blade is at full angle allowing for more coverage when windrowing. In scoop it will a lot of snow.

What is it you don't like about them?
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It takes a big person to admit he was wrong in an open form.

We all make mistakes.
  19. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

I dont like the fact that you cant operate the wings independently and throw them straight out for back dragging IMO when I forst saw it i thought theres no wany Blizzard is going to sell any of them.
  20. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I see your point, but if your using a back blade then it wouldn't be an issue.