1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for OBDII scanner

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RJ lindblom, Mar 9, 2013.

1. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Looking for suggestions for a decent somewhat basic OBDII scanner that will read codes. I'd also like to have the ability to clear codes if needed? I'm not wanting to spend lots of cash.

It would be used mainly on Fords, and a couple of Toyota's. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of cash.
  2. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

Hi Ryan
    After reading a lot of reviews , I bought the Actron # CP- 9550 Pocket Scan Plus a few months ago and have all ready used it around 12 times to trouble shoot and/or reset engine lights , twice used to reset computer to pass inspection . LOL
    In fact I just got it back from my sister who used it on her sons car to get a sticker , and turn off a pesky light for a fellow teacher .
    When I bought mine they were $ 89.99 at both Auto Bone and Advance Auto .
    Sears had them on SALE for $ 59.99 . ( So I naturally raced to Auto Bone )
    heres Todays Price at My Sears , Or wait for a bigger sale

I have used it on a Durango , Toyota , Infinity , but I don't know what my sister used it on , but it reset the light for an inspection sticker .
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you don't need it right away. Watch the Advance Auto Parts web site or if you have a store close. They put OBD II scanners on sale at 1/2 price a few times a year. Then you can buy a really good one. Anytime I get a check engine light I just take it to AutoZone or Advance. They scan for free. I just disconnect the battery for a while to clear codes. Then do a bunch of start / drive / shut down cycles. Drive 50 miles and your golden! I just did it with my F-250. It had a EVAP code from a hole in the tank. Repairs don't work real good in the cold.
  4. RJ lindblom

Thanks. I found some on Amazon for $66.14. I am out of town this weekend. I bought a 97 Expedition for 500. It has a couple of COPs not working, with a terrible misfire on one maybe two cylindrs I want to try to tackle it myself. The coils I am comfortable tacklilng. I don't think I want to tackle the plugs.

That is also a good idea. It is something I've been wanting to add to toolbox for a while now.

Here's one I found on Amazon last night.
  5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

If you're only looking to scan and clear standard OBDII codes, you can often get a basic unit for under $20 from Amazon or eBay. Right now I see that it's $24 on Amazon.

There are a million different listings for it and dozens of different brand names, so just do some browsing and searching for OBDII scanners, the ones that look like that are apparently all just the same repackaged/rebranded unit. The only difference is there was one that supported CAN-bus and one that did not. CAN-bus is a newer OBDII protocol than ISO, VPW, and PWM, and if you have vehicles from 2006+ there's a good chance you might need CAN-bus support.

Mine came from Harbor Freight back in 2007 or so and still works great. The only problem is, while basic codes and erasing were enough to do the most important OBDII work I had to do, I still wanted more. I always want more. I got a ScanGauge II in 2008 (and for someone looking for similar functionality now I'd recommend the much cheaper UltraGauge). I still want more than that but I just don't have the budget for anything better, nor is it important enough that I could scrape up said budget.

There is also a cheap Bluetooth unit that will interface with your smartphone, tablet, or computer, but I hear that some of those have trouble with some Fords. If you get one that doesn't, it will probably give you more features at about the same price. Eventually I'm going to grab one of them. Besides logging live data on the phone/tablet/computer, I hope to access ABS and SRS codes.
  6. RJ lindblom

A bluetooth capable scanner was the next thought I had.
  7. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

I use a generic bluetooth scanner from ebay, linked with the app called "torque" on my smartphone. It works very good. You can read and delete trouble codes, get real time information like air/fuel mixture, even 1/4 mile times, or how far down you have the accelerator pushed.

The scanner was $22 shipped.
    Torque was a $4.95 app on my phone.

This is the kind of bluetooth scanner I use. Go to e bay and search for this.... ELM327 v1.5 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth .... Mine has the black plastic case with the orange/blue label.
  8. RJ lindblom

Excellent! Thank you!
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I forgot about the lap top versions. We have 4 lap tops, a tablet and a Mac book. Think I will look into them. Live data would be cool.
  10. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

I picked up mine from Harbor Freight Tools and used it a few times over the years and am happy with it.
  11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

This is the best does everything OB2 ABS SRS Live feed Check Tranny codes
    Tells the code and the part item on the screen No need searching on the pc for codes
    I bought mine from the ebay link saved about 200 vs the local stores
    I used it many times since I bought it well worth it
    My 99 5.4 had a mis but wouldn't show a code But on Live feed it showed 2-3 wasn't firing the same has the other 6
    I had to buy 2 coil packs that fix the mis
    On my 02 5.4 had ABS senor go bad it was a easy fix since it told me what wheel it was on
    Its already saved me few dollars
  12. RJ lindblom

If I could find something that would with my iPad or iPhone that would be best.

I just bought a 97 Expedition with a 5.4 it has a misfire. The far back coil packs usually seem to be the usual suspects. So I've been studying how to best get to the packs to swap them out or get them out to test them. My 05 F150 has the 4.2 and in a years time I've put 20,000 miles on it and not a single issue.
  13. theholycow

There are definitely iOS apps to work with those bluetooth units.
  14. RJ lindblom

I saw a couple on the APP store yesterday. The reviews where not the greatest.
  15. RJ lindblom

I did some looking, with the bluetooth scanners they don't seem to work on apple products, unless you do a jailbreak. So for snow I will stick with a conventional scanner.

If I get a PC laptop, I will get a bluetooth scanner.
  16. RJ lindblom

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Guess who makes that one for Craftsman
    its a knock off of Innova You should spent extra and got one that does the Live feed and ABS SRS codes
    I use to have one you bought not a Craftsman model but the Innova model which has same spec as one you bought
    I thought at the time all I need. I found out later it wouldn't read a lot things

The Live feed is super nice. Freeze frame sucks

Good luck on your scanner :mechanic:
  18. RJ lindblom

That sounds about like my luck. For a first time out the gate I am crossing my fingers.
  19. theholycow

While I agree that ABS and SRS codes would be great (I even asked for suggestions earlier in the thread because I really really want them), I don't think there's one on the market that would match the phrase "should have spent extra" when the one he bought was $98. The one that was posted in response to my query was $225 from ebay. Sure, 2 1/4 times as much is technically still "extra" but that's generally not in the same person's budget...

I guess what I'm saying is, please prove me wrong by posting one that retails for $125. :mechanic:
  20. RJ lindblom

You're right, the ABS and SRS codes would have been nice. I had a budget in mind, In my case, I've only had one ABS issue in 15 years of driving vehicles with ABS and airbags, never any airbag issues or codes pop up. Only one ABS code show up, due to a wheel speed sensor losing connection to the ABS computer after a hub failure.

Not sure if it is good clean living, I put about 20,000 a year on my main pickup. My wife does about the same on her car. My hope is, I don't need to use my scan tool all that often, but it is there if I do.