1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend liquid de icer or preventer for my elderly parents

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by scholzee, Dec 19, 2005.

1. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

My Mom slipped last year and broke her ankle getting out of the car going to the house. This year I started to plow and salt my parents driveway Mom is 66 Dad 69. My Mom does not like the rock salt getting in the house, I keep trying to convince her its better than another broken ankle but you know how parents are and I want to make sure they are happy. I would like to use a liquid in the area where they park the car between the house and garage, it is about 12 x 20 with a roof but open front and back. From what I read most are first pre applied and not sure if there is anything to do after there is ice down. They Ok with salting the rest of the drive but would like not to have rock salt around the car and doorway. I want the best performance vs price seeing how the area is not too big and would hand apply it and I am in the Buffalo NY area region. Not worried about any liability on this one, just trying to make it as safe as I can on my dime.Thanks in advance for all replies

2. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

My aunt complained over salt last year.

Anything you put down will track into the house. I found the older ones will fall over the smallest pebble or salt chip.

I bought her a shopvac that she keeps on the porch. Now she sweeps the area each morning. Payback is she still bakes those wonderful cookies she made when I was young.

3. Surfside

Surfside Member

Magic-O is the best and the original. :D

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a bag of cal and add it to some water 2.8 lbs of dry to a gal of water and you got a 33%mix wont frez wont track and will melt anything on the ground just reapply when needed also if pre treat will dry and be ready for the next event..

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Anti-Snow/De-Icer works before, during and after a snowfall!

It is $15 a gallon plus shipping. It only covers 1,ooo sq. ft. but it works. There is a nurse down the street who uses this or something just like it. I see her spray it as soon as the 1st flake fall's. She never has anything on her drive or walk. Even in a heavy snow the most I have seen on her drive is a puddle of water. I have talked to her in the past and I believe she is on call often and wants no obstruction at whatever time she may get called in.

I know she has used it for over 10 years as that is when she moved in and she started do;ing it her 1st year. Like I said she may use something different or cheaper I do not know. But I do know she is out there spraying something as soon as the 1st flake is seen in the air. She also just uses a regular sprayer not one bought through a place like the link above.

6. Cal?

cal = Calcium???? about how much is that per bag....and are the bags 50#?

7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

tech terms LOL

CaCl2 2.8 lbs per gal of H2O= 33%
    MgCl21.8 Lbs per gal of H20= 21.6%
    Nacl2 2.5 lbs per gal of H20 = 30%
    so figure a 50 lbs bag of dry to 16 gal of H20=178.4 lbs 35%
    this is a what my lab guys tell me or just do the math...
    My X-MASS gift to all if you need some more info drop me a line ...Eric...