1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recomended plows on Fisher web page wrong?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Yaz, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Why is it if you have a 3500 Fishers little program that the dealers uses doesn't bother to ask what you have for a engine?:sleeping: All dealers will put on very big heavy plows for it.payup And if you have 2500HD with a duramax it still comes with exact same 4800# front end rating, Same as the 3500HD with a duramax and only allows the 7.5' blade to be installed by a Fisher dealer? Some guys are upset about that.:realmad:

I'm wondering if this was left off on purpose?payup

What do you guys think?
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

3500 come with 265 lange E tires... higher capacity... the the 245s that come on the 2500hds
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Its the tires and total truck weight as well as the front end rating. Fisher recommends ballast be added to the bed. Sometimes this number brings it over GVWR.

Just tell the dealer you want the mounts installed and wired and buy the plow assmebled but cash and carry. In other words, just don't have them hook it to your truck. You can put whatever you want on it then.

I would have no problem putting a 9' RD on it if you were going to run ballast. I would go to erated tires though either way.
  4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

personally I'm all set.

What I'm saying If GM offers a plow prep package on a 2500HD with a diesel and the new owner can't even put on a 8' fisher without cash and carry deal, That is bull. :realmad:

If this is the case the plow prep should come with stronger rims or the 3500 steel rims, E rated tires, and the extra leaf spring when you get a diesel engine.

The only guy I know that put on a 7'6" LD bent the blade. It's just not strong and not meant for commercial use. :yow!:

I asked at least 10 guys that plow with Chevy and GMC's Diesels and they all have 8' and larger blades.Most everyone cranks the torsion bars a bit and adds timbrins. No different than the guys with 6.0 or 8.1's.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Its a GMC problem though not Fisher. They establish guidelines based on weight of plow and what they see as being correct. Just because a different plow manufacturer may ok a heavier blade does not make one right and one wrong. They don't want there dealers to become liable for problems with truck warranties.

Solution. GMC and all truck makers should state what weight the plow prep allows and then stand behind their product. Don't just say it has plow prep. All the plow website give approximate weight. So the dealers could have right on the window stickers, Plow Prep XXX lbs. Good for Fisher 8FT, Western 8ft etc.
  6. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Know what's really dumb, a Gm3500 SRW costs less then $100 more then a 2500HD, but dealers don't stock them. Why, because they can't be ordered with alloy wheels.

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'll be #11 and tell you that I hang an 8' Fisher HD off of my 03 D-Max and I have had no troubles whatsoever.

JRKRACE Senior Member

With the GMC/Chevys they kind of do....If you look at the weight sticker on the door , IIRC on the upper right or lower right of the sticker, it gives you the approximate weight that can be loaded on the front end. On the gassers it's something like 900 lbs and on the diesel(crew cab) it's something like 290 lbs. Sounds right as I assume that the diesel should weigh around 700 lb.

I am an avid fan of GM products, but it's hard to overlook the fact that GM plow prep packs are a little on the weak side when Ford offers a 6000lb front axle along with Dodges 5200lb front(IIRC). Kind of makes GM's 4800 look weak.

Then again, us plowers are a minority in the scheme of things....
  9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Bill Your right!!!

Funny I see your from NS. That's were my cousin Alan is from that bent the 7'6" plow with his uncles truck..Yarmouth.tymusic

The bottom sides bent back, and the top sides went forward!