1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recirculation button backlight light not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by M&M, Oct 24, 2008.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I hopped in my truck last night (02 2500HD) and the recirculation button was not lit up. I bought the truck in April and have not used the heater much but last night I did. I figured out that the recirculation mode does not work when in the "blend" mode floor/defrost. Will that essentially turn off the backlight behind the button to tell the operator that function cannot be used? Will the backlight come back on eventually?

I'm probably over thinking this and it's just a bulb or something. Is it a separate bulb than the other buttons? In case you haven't realised, I'm kind of green:D when it comes to things like this. Any help is much appreciated.
  2. Truck_Stuff

Truck_Stuff Inactive
    from NJ

My father has a 01 Suburban and he has lost most of his radio and if I remember all of the climate control lights. As far as I know everything is still working as it should.
  3. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Yes, everything still works on my truck too. Did your old man's lights go out one at time? Did he look into getting it fixed?
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The REC only works in certain vent positions. If you have it in a position were REC isn't permitted it will default out of REC on it's own...putting the light out on the button.

But yes the bulbs die too...rather common.
  5. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I've got 1 climate control bulb left on my 02 2500HD. DRIVES ME NUTS!! I'm doing quite a bit more night driving since its winter so I notice it more. Any way to fix it?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The bulbs are not technically "replaceable" but if your handy with electronics you can dis-assemble the HVAC controller and repair the bulbs. Other option is to replace the entire controller.

Same with the radio and window/lock buttons as well.
  7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Damn radio. I only have 1 & 4 button working on it. I called the dealer the other day to see how much a new radio cost (expensive I know). Anyway, he proseeds to tell me they can't even stock them, or get them. They send them out ONLY. Load of BS or for real????
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% for real. Whether it's radio's, instrument clusters, or other related electronics, the dealer sends them to be repaired or "re-manned" on an exchange basis rather than stocking brand new units on the shelf. Been that way for years.
  9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

This is my first GM vehicle in over ten years. My last truck was the 05 F-150 Crew Cab. I certain like the GM's better, but when it comes to parts and service, I'm very dis satisfied. Thanks for the info, I thought for sure that guy was blowing smoke so he wouldn't have to look up a bunch of numbers. I hate losing fate in people, especially when there an instigate part of my lively hood.

B&B what is it you do for a living? By observance, and first hand experince your a pretty knowledgeable straight shooter. Understandably it may not mean much coming from a jr. Member, But thanks for your participation here.
  10. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. This is my first B&B response. You should have your own robe like G.V. does with his fluid film.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more of my buttons to go out, and I can't wait for the radio lights to go out too!:realmad: No sense fixing it if the others are just going to go out too. Awesome.
  11. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Ditto that. My '04 speedo stopped working dealer had the truck for 2 weeks.
  12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

if you have a salvage yard nearby, you might be able to pick up a used factory radio from them......

http://donsauto.com/ this is ours

You can look up the part you need and I think (not 100% sure) that they will even ship it to you....
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But remember, on the later trucks the radio's are VIN specific due to the Theftlock ll security on them. When swapping radios the replacement has to be VIN matched to the truck.