1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recieved an e mail to bid a place

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Aug 12, 2010.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I get them all the time . this one was not in my area but I read the specs for the plowing and never heard or read this spec. anyone else?

Service Completion. Upon identification of a snow or ice event, SMS Assist
    will notify Contractor with an email or call alert for Locations needing service due to the
    upcoming snow or ice event. The weather alert acts as a warning and is generated from the
    weather station closest to each specific Location and will be sent to Contractor by seven (7)
    o’clock Eastern Standard Time, twenty-four (24) hours before a snow or ice event. Upon
    receiving an alert from SMS Assist, Contractor is required to Accept the Work within six (6)
    hours of receipt. Once Contractor chooses “Accept All" or "Decline All" on the alert email,
    SMS Assist is notified of your response. If Contractor declines service, Contractor will not be
    subject to payment for any service rendered thereafter. Contractor shall be readily available,
    regardless of alerts, twenty-four (24) hours a day throughout the snow season to provide the
    services required. An alert or lack of alert does not exempt Contractor from providing Work if

2. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

Yes i got one too and theres lots in my area but no one will return my email so i think there a joke or just fishin

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

SMS Assist is out of Chicago and they maintain all of the Family Dollar stores.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I'm puzzled by the part about choosing to accept or decline the work. So if you decide you dont want to go to that particular property you decline it and thats it? They just find someone else within those 18 hours they're giving themselves

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's a new one! Really strange.

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

That is the dumbest shiat I've seen thus far. If you are the snow contractor, then of course you would accept the work... you have to because you are under contract. This sounds like a way to further commoditize the industry. It's almost like they are auctioning off the work at each event.

Have they burned so many professionals that the rubes they are having to use are so unreliable that they need to second guess them and prearrange back-up for them for fear of no shows?

And, how accurate is the nearest weather station 24 hours before an event? I mean come on, really?

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If the main contractor doesn't accept the work they call in a back-up. I was a back-up last year and I never got called once.

I turned down the opportunity to be the main contractor because of all the hoops they make you jump through before you can get started.

Also, there's a rep from SMS Assist on this site. I've seen him post in a couple threads.

8. grandview

They have one location in my area which is not up for bid. They'd be in a world of hurt with that policy. It's in our snow belt area and if they used the airport as the reporting station which is not in the snowbelt area the lot will be under 3 feet of snow before they call any one.

9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

yeah my equipment sits waiting for them to tell me when to use it on there lot :dizzy:

no contract = no service

or visa/mc

advance payment for call outs plus premium pricing

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'm all for being pro-active, but that exercise is idiotic. :dizzy:

11. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Guess you better have the internet and a computer to "accept all"

12. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I will be interested in following this thread. As I think this thru-sounds as if a blue print to put out to bid, locations by event. I guess that would truly be supply and demand economics. I have seen very little from management companies to make the providers life easier-as in a voluntary opt out.

As I said, interesting to follow as a trend with management companies.

13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Seems to me like just a way for them to know you are going to be ready, if you say opt in, you better be there, if you dont respond that probably means you a sitting down in the beach in florida and you arent going to get paid

14. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Such as???

Proof of insurance?
    Proof of capabilities/capacities?
    Making sure you're not employing illegals?

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Aside from making yourself available to accept the work each time it snows there's also taking pictures of the lot, drawing diagrams, getting a manager's signature...and those are the only things I can remember.

If I wanted to take pictures for a living I'd own a studio. If I wanted to draw I'd take an art class. What's the point of getting a manger's signature? If the lot is plowed and salted isn't it obvious that I was there to do it?

16. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Sounds like all CYA stuff... gotta be expected when working as a sub.

The "making yourself available" for a storm seems kind of backwards... The whole backup contractor deal, same. If you are hired as "the" contractor, it should be implicitly understood that YOU ARE the contractor for the season, every storm, all the time. Obviously they put that in to effect because they got screwed by it before.

17. grandview

Here's the whole spec sheet.

SCOPE OF WORK
    A. PROCEDURES
    1. Customer’s Preparation for All Snow and Ice Services. Contractor shall
    comply with SMS Assist’s site survey requirements for all stores as set forth on Contractor’s
    Exhibit D. All stores shall have a site survey that includes: (a) store number; (b) store’s street
    address; (c) written diagram with square footage dimensions and pictures for: (i) all parking lot
    areas; (ii) truck loading area; (iii) emergency egresses; (iiii) sidewalks defined by covered or
    uncovered; and (iiiii) roof height.
    2. Timing. Defined per service type.
    3. Service Completion. Upon identification of a snow or ice event, SMS Assist
    will notify Contractor with an email or call alert for Locations needing service due to the
    upcoming snow or ice event. The weather alert acts as a warning and is generated from the
    weather station closest to each specific Location and will be sent to Contractor by seven (7)
    o’clock Eastern Standard Time, twenty-four (24) hours before a snow or ice event. Upon
    receiving an alert from SMS Assist, Contractor is required to Accept the Work within six (6)
    hours of receipt. Once Contractor chooses “Accept All" or "Decline All" on the alert email,
    SMS Assist is notified of your response. If Contractor declines service, Contractor will not be
    subject to payment for any service rendered thereafter. Contractor shall be readily available,
    regardless of alerts, twenty-four (24) hours a day throughout the snow season to provide the
    services required. An alert or lack of alert does not exempt Contractor from providing Work if
    Work is warranted.
    4. Integrated Voice Recognition System (IVR). Contractor is required to utilize
    the IVR phone system at (800) ###-#### on store premises immediately following every single
    service that is completed. If a service is not IVRed immediately following each service, then
    Contractor must get a work order signed and stamped by Customer and it must be submitted to
    SMS Assist within twenty-four (24) hours of completing the service. Upon completion of a
    service in to the IVR, SMS Assist will verify the weather warranted a service and/or will verify
    the service with Customer’s store manager. If SMS Assist discovers a dispute with a service
    then SMS Assist will notify Contractor and Contractor shall get a work order signed and stamped
    by Customer and it must be submitted to SMS Assist within thirty (30) days of completing the
    service. If a problem occurs with the IVR system, Contractor must call the 24 hour hotline to
    report the problem and must submit a work order to SMS Assist at ###-###-#### within 24
    hours of completing the service.
    5. The 24 Hour Hotline. A toll free number will be provided, at no charge to
    Contractor, by SMS Assist for the Contractor and Customer to use to report issues,
    concerns, IVR problems and No-Shows. The number is as follows: (888) ###-####.
    6. Exception Request Process. Services considered outside of frequency or ‘out-of
    scope’ cannot be scheduled or performed by the Contractor without a completed and SMS Assist
    approved exception request form.
    7. Damages from Contractor’s Operations. Turf, trees, flower/shrubbery areas,
    ground covers, irrigation equipment, pavement, curbs, curb stops, parking lot signs, fences, and
    other site items that are damaged or destroyed due to the Contractor’s operations, negligence, or
    misuse of chemicals shall be repaired/replaced at Contractor’s expense with said
    repairs/replacements being completed no later than May 31st of the term year or as agreed to by
    SMS Assist.
    B. SERVICES
    1. Deicing Service. Spread sand and ice-melting material (collectively the
    “Mixture”) on areas identified and approved on a store by store basis according to the survey
    process and identified by SMS Assist. The Mixture will consist of a minimum mix of thirty (30)
    percent SMS Assist approved ice-melting material (Calcium Chloride or similar) and seventy
    (70) percent traction enhancing material to enhance traction and melt ice/snow. SMS Assist shall
    increase the percentage of ice-melting material in accordance with local industry standards,
    changing weather conditions and/or at the request of Customer.
    2. Plow Only Service. Plow the areas identified and approved on a store by store basis
    according to the survey process and identified by SMS Assist.
    a. Contractor shall automatically commence when snow accumulation
    reaches two (2) inches. If during any snow event, snow continues to fall Contractor will
    commence Plow Only service only upon every additional three (2) inches of accumulation. If
    snow shall accumulate during a period when the Location is closed, Contractor shall use its best
    efforts to complete its plowing by either seven (7) o’clock a.m. or when the location re-opens,
    whichever is later. If snow accumulation occurs between the hours of eight (8) o’clock p.m. and
    eight (8) o’clock a.m. local time, Contractor shall initiate the Plow Only service to meet the
    seven (7) o’clock a.m. opening.
    3. Sidewalk Service. Shovel and deice sidewalk area as documented through the
    approved survey process.
    4. Plow & Deice Service. Plow and deice the areas identified and approved on a store
    by store basis according to the survey process and identified by SMS Assist.
    a. Contractor shall automatically commence when snow accumulation
    reaches two (2) inches. If snow accumulation is less than two (0-2) inches, Contractor shall
    initiate a Deice service. If, during any snow event, snow continues to fall Contractor shall
    commence a Plow service only every additional three (2) inches of accumulation. If snow shall
    accumulate during a period when the Location is closed, Contractor shall use its best efforts to
    complete its plowing by either seven (7) o’clock a.m. or when the location re-opens, whichever
    is later. If snow accumulation occurs between the hours of eight (8) o’clock p.m. and eight (8)
    o’clock a.m. local time, Contractor shall initiate Plow & Deice service to meet the seven (7)
    o’clock a.m. opening. Regardless of snowfall, if the surface is icy, Contractor shall initiate a
    Deicing service.

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Now I am guilty of contacting my subs prior to a full push event. I can't count the times I've heard over the years "really, I didn't know anything was coming".....:dizzy: Some are clueless and for whatever reason do not make themselves aware of forecasts'.

Drives me nuts :cry:

Thank God most are aware and ready. But if we aren't hitting on all cylinders the full push events are not enjoyable. So I will continue to do this and contact them by phone. I wouldn't consider lobbing out an e-mail to do this though.

But as hoskm states, being "the contractor" it is implicitly understood that you are to be prepared and ready for any and all changing conditions. That is our responsibility.

It does irritate me when a client calls to inform me/us "hey...I hear there's snow coming. You guys ready?" :realmad: They are naive as to our preparedness.

I suppose I should be thankful there are primary contractors out there who miss the boat, and the Nationals have to babysit them. :p

19. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

Mine for here in IL is a lil diffrent but just the same hoops to jump threw, but it says nothing OF WHEN PAYOUTS are or how often???

20. grandview

read #3 again. They will call you to go out but they all so want you to go plow even if you don't get called by them.