1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

recent past weather information

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pjuhrend, Jan 7, 2009.

1. pjuhrend

pjuhrend Junior Member

Because I do the billing for our snowplowing business and some of our accounts are pretty precise about snowfall amounts.....where do the professionals ,such as yourselves go for accurate snowfall amounts? I need specific days and locations in order to do the billing and back up the snowfall amounts we are charging for some of our inch level accounts. Can anyone give me some ideas on websites besides Accuweather?
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I tried to do that yesterday. Couldn't find any. I went to the City I do business with alot and looked at their numbers. They weren't even close to what I had 10 miles away where I do most of my plowing.

You can try checking with your local tv or radio station. Sometime you can email the weather guy and he can tell you. Most of them love the attention and to talk about the weather.

The best bet is to keep track yourself. That doesn't do any good now, but in the future, write everything down.
  3. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

i write down the snow fall amount on a dry erase board at the end of each day, and once a month it goes into my computer. If it's on the fence (i.e. 2.5in trigger, 2.75in of snow) or something like that I use the little ruler I carry around with me and write the amounts down in a spiral notebook just in case anyone asks. If you have any customers who are dou***bags you can use your digital camera to take a pic of the ruler stuck in the snow so you can prove it to them.
  4. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Accurate Snowfall Amounts

Type a search for "National Weather Service"

Click on your part of the country on the U.S. map "Maine Etc.."

Scroll down and click on the left side where it says "Storm Totals or Snowfall Totals"

Then click on your area "Much of Southern New England Etc.."

They usually give snowfall totals by town. You need to look them up a day after the storm. Don't wait too long after a storm, they don't leave it up very long.
    If they don't have my town I go with the next closest. I've never had any client question snow amounts.
    You can print it and send a copy with the invoice for the people who question.
    I doubt anyone will try to dispute a report from the N.W.S.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

For the Mass guys, Todd Gross (Toddgross.com) offers that service.
  6. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

To go back in time, on the left side you will see "Climate" and local, national and more... under it. Click on "Local", choose "Preliminary Monthly Climate Data" along with the closest location and the month you want. It goes back 5 years and gives you the snowfall for every day of the month at that particular weather station.