1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reccomended Tire Chains -best source to buy from

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by timberframer, Jan 7, 2011.

1. timberframer

timberframer Junior Member

Can anyone reccomend the best chains for plowing with? I am usinng a Ploaris sportsman 500. I would appericate any input from those plowing.

2. tcfirerescue13

tcfirerescue13 Junior Member

any atv chains will work. just go to your local dealer and tell them your tire size and they will get you the correct ones

3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

www.tirechains.com

nuff said

what surface are you plowing on?

V-bars bite into ICE and hard pack snow the best but if you spin you'll leave marks on hard surface's.

2-link spacing rides better then 4-link

course v-bars and 2link spacing mean more$$$$ to get them.

oh and when I put chains on the ATV I let the air out of the tire put the chain on as tight as I can then air the tire back up to about 10PSI.

4. timberframer

timberframer Junior Member

Thanks, I Appericate the info, Since I plow both gravel and Pavement I think the Vchains would be best.

5. sublime68charge

yea now all you need to decide is if you want the 4link vs 2 link the difference is the number of cross links and from what I have read the 4 link rides better and wear's longer due to more chain surface on the ground at the same time where the 2 link you go from tire to cross chain link to tire so it's a rougher ride.

of course the 2 link will cost more though.

I have chains on all 3 of my ATV's this winter and 1 set is 2link heavy chain the rest are 2 link V-bar I have only used the 2link machine for all of 15 minutes so far this winter so I can't compare the ride and performance of that machine yet vs the other's.

sublime out.

6. crazyskier537

crazyskier537 Senior Member
    from NE IL

Yeah, i'm just kind of confused now?:D:drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  7. sublime68charge

sorry missed typed in that post.

the 2 link rides better and last's longer, from what I've read over at the www.tirechain.com

the 4 link is the faster wearing rougher riding.

I put the 4 before the 2.

should have put 2 before 4 in that post.

also this line should read,
    I have chains on all 3 of my ATV's this winter and 1 set is 2link heavy chain the rest are 4 link V-bar

let me know if your still confused and I'll try and explain it better.

sublime out.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  8. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

9. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Junior Member

I'll just chime in to say that I have Mud Lite tires with really deep treads and they work great without chains. I plow uphill on dirt and gravel all the time never slipping. The only time I've ever had an issue was if I got onto deep snow on top of grass.

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic