1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reccomend a lightwieght Snoblower for a 1 man operation

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chazmanian, Oct 30, 2007.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I'm just a small first year operation. Just me. And my truck is fixing to have a Western Pro Flow 2 mounted on the tailgate and it will not be the swingaway mounted type. Hence I will need a snowblower capable of doing two smallish contracts with a combined total of maybe 2000"-3000" feet of sidewalk.

I need one that can be lifted up and over my truck bed by one guy. I'm a full size dude and not afraid of work so i'm not looking for a 25 pound electric nightmare...Just something more managable than 220 pounds of 10HP Cub Cadet!

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!:salute:
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

4. topdj

topdj Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 Toro's. One is 10 years old, model 2400. I started it 2 weeks ago after sitting for 6 months. It started on the first pull. 2 weeks ago I also bought a 2450. They are on sale right now because of the new model. They weigh 75 pounds and are very reliable.
  6. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

So the small wheeled units can make it through the snow eh? Does the auger pull it along?

I wonder if the 98 CC Toro is a two stroke. Toro makes wicked 2 stroke commercial lawn mower that has gobs of power.

Thanks Gents. I'm in...I'm thinking Its "Toro-Time"!!:drinkup:
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Toro, or Ariens, can't go wrong with either one. Maybe even check out the Ariens 522 series. Although, it may be a bit heavier than the Toro equivalent. I use an Ariens 522 and 722 and I really like them (well at least the 522, haven't used the 722 yet) but I've used Toro's and they are fine too. For some reason, GREAT deals on Ariens blowers keep coming my way, that's been my main incentive.
  8. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

TORO, TORO 2 stroke... yep, very true. Lots of usable rubber, won't wear out right away, lighter than ariens and way more effective. I have two Ariens, they mostly collect dust.

LIGHT= TORO. That pretty well sums it up!

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have the TORO Powerlite........great little machine........
  10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Toro 3650 from last season, it works awesome. It will do drifts no problem. I have a bank that drifts something terrible. It has saved the Ol back more then once there.
    Just picked up a Toro 2450 as well. Same motors just no crank for the shute on the 2450.I wouldnt bother with electric start, just makes them a couple pounds heavier and you need an outlet.
  11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Thing is all those class machines are 75 lbs Dry. 75 lbs dry in a labratory.

Im telling you at 3AM in a storm or at 10AM after being out in one all night, they have a habit of feeling like they weigh 100 lbs. Fantastic machine the 2450/3650. I'd marry one if it were legal, but nobody is tossing it over the bed of the truck however many times a night. I wish I had a powerlite. I may get one. They weigh half what the other CCR's weigh, or most single stage units in that class.

Thats the machine that you want if you are gonna need to lift it over the bedrails.
  12. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Mine will need to come over the rails 4 times per night. I have a strip mall and a decent sized apartment complex and thats it. Until I'm certain I can have both those locations Blown and plowed by the requested times I'm not going to add any night shift biz.....Now some stuff that can be doen at 12:00 in the afternoon? That would be nice!payup
  13. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

I bought a small cheap snow blower a few years back about $180- what a waste. It could only handle the 1-3 light fluffy snow. Last year I bought the Toro 3650 - what a great machine. This things is about 71lbs and it has the 6.5 hrs power so it can handle the wet heavy stuff and deeper snow falls.

Spends the extra $200-$300 bucks you will be happy you did.

14. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

The Toro 2450 is $499.00 at Home depot. It dosent appear to be a very substancial unit and would be easy to literally throw in and out of the truck bed......I take it the auger pulls the unit along as the wheels are so small and non-consequential that they seem to be there as an afterthought....I cant even tell the difference bewteen a 3650 and a 2450 and they seem to share the same motor?

I think I'm in on the $499.00 Toro 2450 CCR. If it sucks at least Home depot will let me return it in the first 6 months....I do like the rubber auger as it it wolnt damge anything and the 2 stroke engine is a huge plus.
  15. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Well I actually use Murray Snow Blowers, Ive found them to be just about as reliable as Toro or Ariens at a fraction of the cost. They are available in both one and two stage machines and the smaller ones are quite manageble. http://www.murray.com/products/product.asp?pfid=622505X4A