1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recall on 2013-2015 Heavy Duties with the 6.7

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JustJeff, Oct 11, 2016.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Just saw this. It's the first I've heard about a recall. Nobody's notified me about mine. After six or eight trips back to the dealer about my check engine light (codes were always emissions related), they finally told me that they found a foreign substance in the DEF tank (B.S.), so they weren't going to fix it under warranty. After all of the frustration I eventually deleted the emissions. Runs better and gets better mileage now, but it cost me over a grand out of my pocket to fix something that Chrysler should have done initially. Looks like both companies are trying to pass the buck back and forth between each other.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1610-fca-cummins-dispute-responsibility-for-emissions-recall/

2. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

Mine is in the shop right now and getting a new cat as I type this! Very annoying to say the least. I wish I could just delete, but don't trust the truck as far as I can throw it.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Why don't you trust it?

4. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

It is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has left me on the side of the road dead. Never again will I own a FCA vehicle. If I could find a buyer, it would be gone a long time ago and get a fancy blue oval in the front. That should fix the problem.

5. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I haven't received a notice yet either. Going back into the shop on Friday for the turbo again so maybe I'll hear something then.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

you can enter your vin to see if there any recalls on your ram

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls.html

i still need to get my airbags replaced.

The first recall affects 2013-15 Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks, specifically four-door models, manufactured between June 20, 2012, and January 26, 2015. The calibration of the side impact sensor in those affected units may to be too sensitive.

The second issue also affects Ram pickups, including 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500-series models from the 2012 to 2014 model years, built between January 18, 2011, and October 7, 2014, and fitted with the optional Electronic Vehicle Information Center. The problem here stems from a wiring harness in the steering wheel that may rub against a retainer spring in the air bag control module.

and i believe there is something for the emissions.

ktfbgb likes this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Any and all trucks have problems and can die.

Touch wood, I have yet to have a single runnability problem with my '14 RAM.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board have demanded a recall of 2013 through 2015 model year Ram 2500 pickup trucks with 6.7L Cummins diesel engines because moisture can lead to the deactivation of the selective catalyst reduction system, causing excess nitrogen oxide emissions, Cummins said in court documents that have not been previously reported.

9. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Oy I'm buying a ford next time.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

This issue needs to be settled between Fiat and Cummins as there are several reports of lawsuits and counter suits being filed between the 2. These lawsuits (in excess of $200 million)are going to drive the costs up and potentially cause a split and the end of Cummins powered ram trucks.

We could be seeing the beginning of the end.
    Iveco and cummins were in bed together working on the 6.7.
    they had a spat and Iveco went their own way.

the Iveco 6.7 looks almost exctely like the cummins 6.7.
    minor differences in stroke and bore #'s.

a bit on the law suet between Iveco and cummins.
    http://www.investopedia.com/news/cummins-fiat-chrysler-legal-dispute-cmi/
    http://www.fxnewscall.com/fiat-chrysler-recall-this-is-going-to-cost-money/1955900/
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiat-chrysler-cummins-lawsuit-idUSKCN12A2LD

11. bootstrap

bootstrap Member

The end of a Cummins engine in a Ram wouldn't break my heart. Maybe they'll find their way into better trucks.

12. Mark Oomkes

Says the guy with an '04 Chebbie.

13. bootstrap

bootstrap Member

Exactly. A far better, much more reliable rig.
    Nice not having transmissions blow up frequently.

14. Mark Oomkes

You do realize that Dodge has a new transmission since '04???

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

like a nissan?

and as mark said.

16. Mark Oomkes

Nissan makes trucks?

17. bootstrap

bootstrap Member

God no. Not the straight 6 anyways. Time will tell if the 5.0 in that Titan will turn out to be a good combo or not. I don't know much about the Titan other than its a weak truck.
    Not likely youll ever see a Cummins in a GM either. But I could see Ford picking up Cummins in the future if the opportunity comes. I'm not a Ford fan, but if that ever happened I think Ford would largely dominate the market with GM somewhere behind that with Ram discontinuing full size truck production all together.
    Quite honestly tho, I doubt Fiat/Chrysler will ever part ways with Cummins. In the end I think they will get on their knees for Cummins as its the only thing that's kept Dodge/Ram pickups in the HD market after around the year 2000.
    Yes I am aware. But its actually not 2004. Its 2007.5. They came out with the 68RFE when the 6.7L rolled out(a very few 5.9's had the privilege of a 68RFE).
    They ran the 48RE up till 2007. That trans was slightly more reliable behind the common rail than the 47RE was behind the 12 valve and 24 valve VP.
    As far as manuals are concerned, they ran the NV5600 up till 2005 when the phased in the G56 manual. Far as I know the G56 is still in production.

I know a thing or two about Dodge/Ram diesels. I have never been a fan of V8 diesels that's why I've owned Dodge diesels before. Back in the mid 90's I loved the Dodge gas jobs.
    Theres a reason why most over the road hot shotters run Ram diesels and its not because of the Ram truck at all.
    As far as the rest of the truck is concerned, my OPINION is that they've been a step or two behind Ford and GM at least since the late 90's.

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Why would Fiat be scared of parting ways with cummins?
    Just like gmc and ford they have poured a fortune into developing their own diesel engine.

fiat and cummins were in bed together, on the development of the 6.7. then they had a falling oot.
    so with this bad blood why would fiat stay with cummins when they have their one diesel, that is nothing to scoff at?

Its already happening.
    "The first applications of the A 630 DOHC A fiat engine in the the 2014 Grand Cherokee and the 2014 Ram Eco-Diesel, the same engine, which is lightly tuned, also powers the Maserati Ghibli III. The engine won several awards including a slot in the top 10 best engines of 2014

but it probably wont come to be until the next model or ground up redesign.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  19. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Not to change the subject but for those of you that have the 6.7 with all the new emissions stuff on them that haven't deleted it. I recently had a bunch of warranty work done and while at the shop we talked about upcoming maintenance. Once you hit 60,000 miles you need to do the cleaning on DPF which is big bucks. I'm sure most of you are aware of that but thought I would throw it in here just in case. They said if you go over that number that is when the seams are failing and replacing the DPF is even bigger bucks.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

i thought at 60k it was cleaning the EGR, the dpf is cleaned threw the regen process.

your emissions are covered out to 100k, tho in most states you have to pay for the cleaning.

Do you have vehicle inspections?
    if not.
    I have two words.
    efi live.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    JustJeff likes this.