1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilt Light tower

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by iakentdoz, Dec 18, 2006.

1. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I hate the round tube on top and plus the lights are too low. I replace the top tube with a 3"x1.5" rectangular tube and have the ends turned upwards and lengthened. I will be replacing to stock Blizzard light with new NightHawks.

tower_before1.jpg

tower_after1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  2. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I boxed in both ends and cut a opening on the under sides to be able to bolt the light back on and also to hide the bolts from view.

I thought the lower frame was kind of week. I welded 1" angle iron to both the left and right up rights and welded a piece of 1 1/2" angle iron to the lower part of the tower.

I will be able to run wire through the angle iron that's on the up rights and will come out behind the lower cross bar that I welded on. The top bar was drilled and I ran a pull wire (bottom picture) before welding every thing together so I will be able to pull the wires from the top tube down the up rights to the lower cross bar.

Now the frame does not move side to side, does move a little front to back but I have a fix for that. I will drill a hole about 2" down form where the pin goes in and install a 5/8" bolt.

topbar1.jpg

tower_after2.jpg

tower_after4.jpg

tower_after5.jpg

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Does'nt look to bad, but I would have done a solid bead on all the weld. It would look better.

4. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I thought about it, but I'm not that great of a welder.

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Nice work, and looks great.

I would like to find a way to hide the cables as well. They just look out of place.

Chris

6. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

you are anal, **** looks good to me.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

lol, same here...

8. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice. The welds don't look that bad realy. Would look better with a full run though. I didn't think that the tower was weak. IMO

9. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

New NightHawks pictures

Lights are just where I wanted them with the plow on. Can't wait to try the out in a snow storm.

plow8.jpg

nighthawks2.jpg

10. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Not real week, but from a company that builds strong plows, you would think they would have put a little more though into building the light tower. The tower is strong front to back, but side to side I though it shook/vibrated while driving. It does not shake any more.

11. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you should have bought the house across from you. 4 CAR GARAGE. Kick ass. lol. Looks good.

12. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I would put my money on those being condos.

Still nice.

13. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Duplex's and cost $159,000 and our house was $169,000