1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rebuilding pump question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by drstiddy, Feb 3, 2012.

1. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

so I've completely went through my plow...as i don't like breaking down during a snow storm. i have a 7'6'' unimount pro and added wings. i bought the complete o-ring kit that changes them all especially on the solenoid pistons. on them there in each groove is an o-ring and two plastic spacers. ordered kit last year and all three do not wanna fit like factory...i thought maybe the orings would compress in. this seemed to work for a little while and then plow didn't want to raise very well and angling i had to keep re-angling it last season. so i tore it apart this season and come to find out...some of the orings smashed in and ripped...some got shoved over where they were not supposed to be. i ordered a new kit and same problem...can not get all 3 in the groove to same my life. i needed it back together so left one of the spacers out so the o-ring would set all the way down. seems to work great but haven't got to push snow with it since i did this. anyone had this problem or know of a fix? or is it ok to run it like it is? i don't want to get out and be in the middle of pushing and have it mess up again. i have a new motor and completely service it every year...not just fluid change but unhook everything and clean all dirt and debri out with brake cleaner so its completely fresh. but I'm unsure on those solenoid pistons due to this?

thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just outta wonder, are these factory western or aftermarket ones? Do you still have old ones to compare to? The oem ones I mean?

3. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

ordered the kit from angelos supply...so can't really answer that one honestly as i don't know. and no i don't have the oem ones as i did this last year and this year again. I'm thinking the plastic washers mustve been a tiny bit thinner or these are ones that maybe go to a newer/improved piston that would have a little bit wider gap. beyond this i do not have a clue. just know the three parts do not fit. and i tried everything i could come up with minus trying to thin the spacers down somehow

4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

The parts from Angelo's are aftermarket, its probably a thicker o ring or backup ring (plastic washer). If you can find an OEM kit use that instead. As for leaving it out, we rebuild a lot of units and seen some without the back up ring and they worked fine, even seen a few with two o rings used to fill the groove. It will work but wont last as long The back up ring is simply to keep the o ring in the center of the groove thereby minimizing wear from the o ring moving up and down in the groove.

We buy o rings and back up rings in bulk, we just have to make sure we get a quality supplier that use's the same tolerance specs as OE.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

5. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

thanks for the reply. thats kinda what i figured that it would add extra wear. do you know where I can get an OEM set? or could you sell me a set? willing to pay for them and your troubles.

thanks

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try a western dealer..