1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding plow

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by sven1277, Mar 9, 2015.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have a couple pre DD 8611lp's. Like so many others, I don't want the newer version. I want to go through my older unit. I have a wing or slide box to replace. It doesn't raise as high anymore so I need to go through the linkage. I've heard of using double springs for the wings. Upgrading the pump motor and oversizing the hydro lines. What mods or improvements have you made? What suggestions do you have? I want to keep these plows going for a while longer. I really like the shoebox controller too.

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I think Dieselss and Fastjohnny may be better sources of info for this.

First you need to make sure that you can get your wings out. The older models with the stop pins on the back of the blades are tough to remove. That might be a decision make or break as to whether you want to continue.

My number one upgrade would be positive angle stops. The angle cylinders take a beating without them. I would also revert back to a Fenner powered hydraulic unit.

A couple things to keep in mind.
    1) Blizzard only produced the LP for one year (2005) before the company was sold to DD. To the best of my knowledge, DD made few changes to the blade design before PH2.
    2) There is a good chance this will get expensive. So be prepared. Whatever you expect to spend, plan on double even if you are a really good fabricator or estimator. If you stay under that number, you get a big pat on the back.

The '05's were great plows. If you choose to rebuild them, they will continue to serve you well.

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Maybe I should explain a little more. The plow works. One wing is slightly tweaked and the cutting edge has worn on an angle. I just replaced a slide box in the other plow. I've always been able to get the wing and slide box out. The two units I have are an '05 and '08 The mechanicals are the same but the back side of the two blades are fabricated differently. They both use the same parts. I really like the idea of positive stops. I've hyper extended an angle cylinder before

4. scottr

scottr Senior Member

If your angle pin holes are worn you can tighten things up by building thick washers from 1/2" plate and welding them on. I think I posted a pic of mine in the " ground up build" thread in the Comerical plowing section. Also look real close at the angle iron braces uses on the "A" frame. They seem really weak to me

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How "tweeked" is the wing? Might be better to try and fix it other then then the 800 for a new one.
    How good of a machine shop/metal shop you have near you?

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Fenner/SPX stone pumps can be modified fairly easily. Replacing the pump with a higher volume pump is easy. I changed mine out to a 3.1cc/rev unit (I do not have a blizzard plow but a Fenner pump is a Fenner pump).. Flint Hydraulics will have what you need, also try Melrose technologies. All online. You can also get a heavy duty motor for them too. Don’t forget a new shaft seal when doing this modification. Not sure what these plows had stock in them for the pump but be careful when going to a larger volume pump as it takes more electrical power to compress the fluid. Make sure you elect system is up to par. Volume = speed and pressure = force. Setting your reliefs etc will allow you to adjust your pressure somewhat but you need a gauge. Hope this helps. Post your mods.

7. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Been absent for awhile...

Bliz, Will the non-Fenner (Monarch?) end heads fit a Fenner motor/pump? It's been a while since I upgraded all my Fenner stuff, I only have one non-Fenner unit.

Sven, agree with all you said.

8. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge the pump/relief block/motor assemblies are interchangeable.