1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding old belt drive speedcaster? valve body

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by gypyscatfish, Feb 1, 2015.

1. gypyscatfish

gypyscatfish Junior Member

Is there anything other than o rings on the plungers that the cables hook to?. My plow leaks down, I think it has to be the valve body but do not know if there is a check valve or something that needs to be cleaned or replaced in the valve body. I replaced the o rings a couple of years ago but it did not help, I do not remember if there was any other repairable parts in the valve. It seems to be a common problem but I have yet to see an answer posted to fix it.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

First I would make sure the valve is centering. Unhook the cable and see if it still leaks down.

3. gypyscatfish

Yes, it is centering. I have seen a lot of misinformation on different forums so I will post what I think I know and anyone, please correct me if I am wrong. If your lift cylinder is not leaking to the outside it is not the problem with leak down. The pump lifts and the valve body keeps it up. If your valve cables are not centered in the neutral position they will let the fluid go out of one of the ports ( lift or swing) or if the o rings are bad on a valve piston it will let the fluid go by. Too many people replace their pump when it is leaking down. It is not the pump, it has to be the valve body or valve piston. I am going to take one apart to see what is in them and will post. If you have slow lift it could be a weak pump or lose belt or maybe issues with valve.

4. gypyscatfish

I read somewhere that the pump should put out around 17 to 1800 psi. Take a male and female hose connector with a tee between them and put a pressure gauge in the tee. Put that between the connectors of your hose, this is easier than taking something apart to put a gauge in.
    Check the pressure before buying a new pump.