1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding My Service Truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by LunchBox, Sep 18, 2012.

1. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

A few months back I put a new body on my service truck. The old body was a 2003 that my father took off his old truck on a Friday night and was rolling Sunday afternoon. This time I took my time and installed and painted the body within a week. I still have stuff to add like my welder, air compressor, and mount my crane. But I'm rolling down the road making money so thats all that matters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the vise I broke taking apart a hydraulic cylinder? Thats what a pipe wrench and a 4 foot pipe will do.

2. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

[​IMG]

You can see how the passenger side is leaning. This was because the body actually separated from the floor. I tied it in with some threaded rod and welded a few plates in. However it was time for a new body.

[​IMG]

Popped the crane off.

[​IMG]

She looks naked

[​IMG]

Installing the body on a rainy saturday morning.

3. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

[​IMG]

A cool looking body but I had to cut a ton of stuff off.

[​IMG]

Time for paint.

[​IMG]

Install and I-pack tool box to put my torches in.

[​IMG]

Painted my rims to match the truck.

4. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Nice truck is a duramax? Great setup would love to have it.

5. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

A few things I still want to do to it includes: install the crane, mount my welder, make a custom head ache rack with brake and led strobes in it, make some cool welding lead racks.

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like you could put your welding leads next to the fire extinguisher. Put two boat cleats on there and wrap the leads around them. Works like a charm if you only need one set of cables.

7. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice job wish i had a service truck like that cant wait to see what it looks like when its done

8. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Nice, any more pics of the mini crawler crane? I've been in heavy construction for 12 years and never seen one on a job.

9. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Thanks guys. The welder should be getting mounted this weekend, and I'm going to build a tail gate for it. I love have the big open deck on the back. It makes a great work bench.

As for the min crawler we have two:

This one is a 6 ton Hitachi EX 60

[​IMG]

This is an 18 ton Mantis which folds up to 8 feet wide by 8 feet tall. It's a cool machine.

[​IMG]

10. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

I had sometime to do some work this weekend. I mounted the welder a few weeks ago, but I just bought a cover for it, well worth it, built a tailgate out of some wood, made a rack for my welding leads, and mounted my big old trojan vise. Within the next couple of weeks I plan on getting a big air compressor, and hopefully get the crane on there. We've been swamped with work, and it doesn't look like it will slow down anytime soon. Unfortunately the snow will kill me this year.

Pardon the mess on the back please.

service truck.jpg

11. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

looks good