1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding lift ram

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cmo18, Dec 29, 2010.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Near the end of last season I had to rebuild my lift ram. I used all new seals. After this past storm the plow will no longer hold pressure and there is fluid coming out of the top.

I'm just wondering if there something I forgot to do last time that caused the seals to wear out so quickly? I honed the cylinder to remove any rust or build up.

I'm rebuilding either today or tomorrow and if there's any trick please let me know!

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak

i take it that it is a e47 power unit ?

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

sorry E-60

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

sorry no insight on the e60 .

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

did you replace the actual drive in type seal in the top cover? if so did you replace the large white oring under the cover?

6. MILLSUPPLY

MILLSUPPLY Junior Member

If you had to hone the inside of the cylinder, I take it that it had rust pits in it. If so, I would buy the Meyer retrofit cylinder kit that increases the size of the seal at the bottom of the ram from 1 1/4" to 2". The benefit of the retro kit is never have a drifting problem again, the draw back is the unit will not raise quite as fast as with the old cylinder/seal. If the original cylinder had any kind of roughness in it, it probably tore the seal at the bottom of the ram causing the fluid to leak around it and then the plow will not hold in the raise position and eventually the fluid leaks out of the top seal.

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

It was the seal at the bottom of piston. The shaft and cylinder didn't have any rust either. I dont know what made this seal to go bad so quickly but hope the new one will last longer!