1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding Angle Cylinders

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by AHammen, Dec 2, 2008.

1. AHammen

AHammen Member

Looks like one of my angle cylinders is leaking where the ram meets the cylinder. Has anyone ever replaced the seals themselves? If so what is the procedure?
    Thanks

2. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

have you tried tightening the "gland nut" at the top of the cylinder? I have had several that start to dribble, but stopped once I tightened it up. you don't want them real tight, (I don't have a torque spec) but if it's loose, it'll turn real easy, then just "snug it" after it starts to really resist.

3. AHammen

AHammen Member

Well it was loose so I was able to turn it about 1/8 a turn, hopefully that was it.
    Thanks for the tip.

4. jeepman4u

jeepman4u Member

I Got the same problem were can you buy the seal kits to replace them, Also are they the 1.5 - 10 ram on a meyer 7.5 or what size. Thanks for the help.

5. AHammen

AHammen Member

I tightened my gland nuts like rocknrollrednec suggested and that fixed the problem (thanks). As far as the seal kits go you can buy them anywhere meyer parts are sold. I use Angelos-supplies.com or discountsnowplowparts.com. If you have a 7.5 standard duty plow then yes they would be a 1.5x10 angle cylinder. But check the gland nuts first.

6. jeepman4u

jeepman4u Member

Hey AJ

When i put the plow on and went left to right that was little more the a drop or 2. But it only did it when you as far as you could with the ram. That what make me think i need to replace it, before the season get going here.

7. AHammen

AHammen Member

Ya I would probably just replace the seals then. The seal kits themselves are really cheap (like 10 bucks per cylinder). I think I will do the same at some point this year so if you replace your seals let me know how it went. I'm assuming it is pretty straight forward.

8. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

make sure to check for nicks or dings before you replace the seals. could be a bad spot on the ram.

9. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

I have rebuilt my cylinders before real easy to. Didi one last year only took like 20 minutes to do. Basicaly when you just loosen that jam but up pull the cylinder out and everything thing is right there I remember how it all goes but is pretty self explanitory.

10. AHammen

AHammen Member

11. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

If I remember correctly it should be

12. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member