1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuilding a Western Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by schnitz, May 15, 2005.

1. schnitz

schnitz Member

Has anybody here ever totally rebuilt a Western? Not the blade or moldboard, but basically the rest? The pump, replaced the cables, all the electrical stuff? Preferably with a ton of pics. My '84 is going to get the total revamp, so I might as well do the whole deal. Thanks in advance.

In a while, Chet.
  2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on how "in depth" you're going to get with the overhaul you might be better off buying a reman. cable pump. CPW sells them. Runs from about $700-$765. Even comes with a one year warantee. To do a complete re-buid it may run upwards of $500. Me personally, I'd spend the extra money. All depends on your financial situation, access to parts and time. :)
  3. schnitz

schnitz Member

I'd like to say that money is no object, but.... Are there any places out there that just have a bargain (read as not $1000 o ring seal set, but not $.25 seal and gasket set either) rebuild set? I don't really plan on plowing any accounts this next season, or the next for that matter. Whatever I do, I have to budget it out of the regular family budget, so I have to be kinda tight with spending.

Thanks, Chet.
  4. 78W200

78W200 Member

I pretty much rebuilt my pump this last season. I replaced all o-rings,seals,pump,lift arm packing,and lift valve. The only thing that did not get replaced was the cables and the electric motor. It is very easy to do, sorry I don't have any pics. Go to the western website and download a copy of the repair manual and it has all the pics you will need.BTW I also replaced all of my hoses and fittings including quick disconnects. The whole process only takes a couple hours, and I only had about 250 bucks in the whole deal. If you have any questions let me know and I will do what I can to help.
  5. schnitz

schnitz Member

Too cool. My truck is really rough, and needs a ton of work. Right now, the ram for the plow is stuck in the "up" position and won't come down for anything. Something wrong in the control circuit, I think. Do you know if I'd damage it by just prying it down (plow on it)?

Thanks, Chet.
  6. 78W200

78W200 Member

From your first post I'm assuming you have and older cable operated setup.I would not try to force the ram down.You may have some dirt in one of the passages to the valve that lets the plow come down. Have you tried to turn the lever on the side of the housing with the cable off, you will also need the plow on for the ram to go down. If none of that works you may have to take the lift valve assembly apart then try to push it down carefully though you don't want to force it and mess up the walls of the cylinder then you are screwed. Go the the western website and download a copy of the repair manual for your plow it will be very helpful. What ever you do WATCH YOUR TOES !!! :cry:
  7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SCH.............You cables are prob. just stuck and mis-adjusted.
    TaKE the side plates off where the cables enter the pump body.
    Move the up down lever inside with a pair of pliers........

FAST way............Take the fill plug out (on the top of housing
    on the right side) and push down ram. Watch out for gushing
    fluid !!!!!!!!!!

A simple fix that cost 0.

I had my cable op. Western for 10 hard seasons and never rebuilt it.
    My bud is STILL using it today !

A once a year fluid change and cable adjustments were all it ever
    needed...............geo :drinkup:
  8. schnitz

schnitz Member

I had a buddy come over last night to help take the blade off with it still raised up. While jiggling it around to unhook the chain, it came down on it's own. I don't know for the life of me why it decided to lower itself now, but it's down. What a relief.

Thanks, in a while, Chet.