1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rebuilding a GOVLOC

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PTTP08, Dec 15, 2012.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I have a 90's chev 3/4 ton with a semi floating rear axle with a GOVLOC. Here is the deal I was doing the U Joints in the rear axle and decided to change the diff fluid and found some of the spider teech have chipped and were in the bottom of the sump in the rear end stuck to the magnet. Who knows how long this has been like this or how long it will last. could last ten years or ten days. My question is this can these be rebuilt and how much? I was told by somebody it is hard to find parts for these units. Or the other option swap the WHOLE rear end with an upgrade to a full floating axle. thoughts on the whole deal?? Thanks again for all the info.

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Find an older 14bolt full floater with an open diff and buy a detroit locker for it. If you search around you may be able to find one set up. Most military trucks came with a 4.56 gear 14b with a detroit. Check on Pirate 4X4 in the classifieds, someone is always selling a 14b in there. You will have to check what gears you have though.

3. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

5. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

14bolt: yes. Detroit locker: not for me. They are miserable on the road, and are worse if you carry a load or tow heavy. Go into a corner on the throttle and it will push. Let off in mid corner and you'll head for the gutter. You would be much better served with a clutch type or helical gear type unit. IMHO.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ujoints in the rear axle?

Stay with the 9.5" 14 bolt SF. Put in a Tru-Trac or open diff.