1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rebuilding a c-4 tranny

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by hfdresq1, Feb 11, 2002.

1. hfdresq1

hfdresq1 Junior Member

i need to rebuild my c-4 tranny and am in search of some advice. i am going to rebuild it myself and i heard it was a pretty easy job. i have built engines before but have never tackled a tranny. how hard a job is it and how long of a time frame am i looking at? not looking to do it in one day but i also don't want to be working on it for two weeks either.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ive never done a C4,but Gm 700 r4's take my about 6-9 hrs to actually rebuild properly,not including R&R,the c4 isnt an OD,and should go much quicker.The hardest part is cleaning,and changing out,and air testing all the seals.It is time consuming,but i love doing them myself,very rewarding when your done,snd a few years later when they still work great.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You don't mention what the tranny came out of, but since this is a snow plow page and Ford trucks, I'll guess it's a plow truck. If it's a Ranger, then disregard the following:

I'd suggest you toss the C-4 and get a C-6 from a junkyard or other source. It will be the last tranny you'll have to do. The C-6 is a very tough transmission, if you service it regularly it should last a long time. The C-4 was a light duty tranny used in Mustangs and Falcons and base model Torinos and won't hold up well to snowplowing.