1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuild pump or replace? (pictures)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tru450, Jan 28, 2014.

1. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

Been leaking hydro fluid out of the pump area for a couple weeks and it's going from a couple drips here and there to "maybe I should look at this before I break down in the middle of a storm."

Little history on the truck. 1st year plowing, bought a 2000 F350 w/ 7' 6" Boss straight blade (RT3) back in the end of November. Got it for a decent price. Plow looks a little beat up but everything has been fine on it.

From the looks of it I may be able to do a seal replacement? I am hands on and mechanically inclined so tearing this apart to either replace / rebuild wouldn't be an issue minus not having an indoor location to work on it. (someday)

It's currently on flat ground and the majority of the fluid buildup indicates it's coming from the middle of the unit. (where the reservoir meets the pump).

So, thoughts? Rebuild the unit or replace?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Mine had a similar leak years ago. If I remember correctly I was able to clean the motor and re-use. The pump required a new seal. I think I did it all in a couple hours. Dont lose the small "key" that fits between the motor and pump on the end of the shaft.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. BossEric

BossEric Member

They are actually pretty easy to work with , and popular design of pump. Once you are able to separate the pump from the bearing on the motor . This can be difficult at times. But your leak may be as simple as loose fluid tank bolts , or tank o-ring bad. I've seen both happen.

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a Fenner/Stone pump. Yes they are easy. There is also one place where they leak. It is the solenoid manifold to main block. There are O-rings in there that need to be replaced. Mine did the same thing. Took the solenoid manifold off and brought the manifold and O-rings to NAPA and had it back together in no time. Now every year when I service it I replace these O-rings as they are cheap.
    T.J.