1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuild or bigger pump?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by green frog, Feb 20, 2010.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have a 7 or 8 year old 7 1/2 foot pro plow. It has the shock and 4 springs. I have added mega scoops which added 60 pounds or more and it slowed down a tad. I will be putting on a back drag edge on next season which I guess is another 40 or 50 pounds and carry the shoes around. So could it just be tired or look into getting a new pump for like a 8 1/2 ft plow?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's going to slow down some (compared to what you're used to) as you add weight. However if the motor, wiring, truck side electronics or gear pump are not in tip top shape you're going to notice it more. And depending on how much it actually affected it yours may need some work, because it's the same exact hydro setup as used on all the plows all the way through to a 9' Pro.

A pump pressure test and then an amp draw test are the first steps to checking it's health.

3. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks B&B. Where do you recomend I take it to get tested? Any western dealer?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any plow dealer or hydraulic shop with a press gauge and an amp tester should fill the bill nicely. You want the pump to be about 1800psi and amp draw anything under about 200 amps against the relief would be nice.