1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuild Engine?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sarah_Keister, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Sarah_Keister

Sarah_Keister Guest

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Sarah Keister (obviously),I'm 18 and from eastern Iowa and I'm in the process of buying a 1993 Chevy Ex. Cab 4x4 with a 5.7L V8. The truck has 174 thousand miles on it and I don't know whether or not I should fix up the engine or just get a new one. I'm trading in a 2001 Civic so I should have some extra cash in order to work on it right away. But I must have money for dual exhaust and my lift kit :D Anyone that helps me in anyway, thanks in advance!!

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

My advice would be to take the truck to a mechanic and have him check the engine. Look at compression and for any leaks or noises. If the engine checks out then let it run. The 5.7 is a pretty durale motor though with those miles I wold be aware that it may need work in the near future.

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Hey Sarah, welcome. I'd deffinetly figure out where the motor is at before you do anything under the hood. Is it using oil, has compression, and everything else is in good working order. If you decide to keep the motor for now, but are going to swap it in the future, keep in mind that you can do modifications to it, such as air, fuel, ignition and exhaust that would be transferable to your new motor. When the time comes for that new motor (and it will) and you want ponies, there is a company that I've looked at, can't speak for their reputation one way or another, but www.allchevyengines.com that makes a 383 cubic inch 360 horsepower truck replacement engine that is supposed to work great in full sizes. Don't forget to save money for the tires!;) Don't want to have it all up in the air with empty wheel wells........

MT

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

In addition to the obvious (such as engine noises & oil leaks/usage) a compression check as mentioned is a good idea, so is a leak-down test.

The leak-down test basically measures how well your cylinders are sealing. It uses compressed air, and meaures how much air leaks past the rings, valves etc.

And, do you know the history of the truck - were those miles mostly highway, or a lot of stop & go and short trips? How well maintained was the engine, did it do a lot of towing?

If the engine's running OK now, I'd be inclined to leave it in. Engines can be changed (relatively) easily - I've swapped the engine out of my old '75 in a day before with no problem. Main thing is having proper tools/facilities available for the swap.