1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

reasons to buy a plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by teamgreendude, Nov 10, 2015.

1. teamgreendude

teamgreendude Senior Member

trying to convince a bank to give me a loan to buy a new boss 7'6 blade, what are 10 reasons why you bought a plow? (i've been approved i just want to write this out so my father can see this for himself) Thanks guys!

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Why should we be convincing someone you need a plow? If you've done your homework and know your market, costs, and earning potential, you should have no problem finding financing. But you need to show why YOU need a plow, not why I need one.

Do you have any work lined up for a plow?

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Amen. And I'd NEVER buy a 7'-6" straight blade again unless there were wings on it. OP, why are we supposed to give you reasons to buy a plow? That's probably in the top three for dumbest questions I've read this year. If you have snow clients buy a plow, if not, why bother getting one? But it doesn't sound like you've already got snow clients so you're just wasting your time here as well as ours.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Hey no need for the "dumbest" question comment, ridiculous would have been a much less offensive choice of words. This is obviously a younger person since he wants / needs to justify to his father.

I'm surprised none of the seasoned pros neglected to bring up proper insurance coverage.

OP, Buying a plow is the easy part of this business, it's probably a little late to be putting together a route unless you're going to sub for someone. Also check with your insurance agent and get a quote for G/L insurance. If the numbers add up and you feel confident this is a good move then go for it.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

wow - what a warm welcome the poor kid gets.....

but in all honesty, not knowing you, your circumstances, your business, your use for the plow, etc.. we cannot possibly comment on why it is a good idea for you to get a plow. why do YOU think it's a good idea?

you mention you're already approved, so what would you need to convince the bank of if you already have approval for the funding?

sounds like you're more so looking for reasons to justify it to your father. He (knowing you a lot better than us) would be the better person to weigh in on whether or not a brand new plow that you have to finance makes sense for you.

6. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I brought it up indirectly in knowing his costs. But from the sound of it, the OP has never plowed snow before. If he doesn't have clients lined up already it's about a moot point for this year.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Tell the old man that every guy on PS got better grades in school after buying a Western.

As for buying a 7-6....well that's a good training one.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Buff, you're right. If I could go back and edit my comment I would, but I can't do it at this point. How about naïve, or uninformed? OP go get the plow. One good reason would be because it would really look cool hanging off of the front of your truck!

9. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Seemed like a typical response to me.

10. teamgreendude

god almighty!!!!!! relax guys! i'm writing a persuasive paper for my college landscape business operations class. Don't know why i put my dad up there, he's my general manager for my day to day business operations for my company. Actually got approved for financing from sheffield.

11. teamgreendude

should of looked closer before posting, sorry guys! Like i said i'm trying to write a persuasive paper for my business ops class and just kinda in a rut right now and need some ideas, thanks for the help!

12. teamgreendude

JimMarshall yes i do have work lined up (20 signed contracts and counting for residential),two churches, also possibly doing about a half dozen small bank of americas for a friends company(he's splitting it 50/50 with me)

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Oh, dad works for you.

It all clear now. *+*=

14. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Putting the cart a bit before the horse aren't we?

15. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Should have just told people about the paper, it sounds like a cool school project.

Tell your dad you have to get the plow, you have contracts to fulfill.
    50/50 is not fair if your doing the work.

I'm not doing your school work for you, best of luck though.

16. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

So why do you need a loan? Assuming since you have been a member since '08, you're not new to the business. I would think a plow would be one of your smallest investments. Also out of curiosity, why do you have to convince your dad? Your accounts should be reason enough. By the way, we're neighbors!

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Top 10 list why to buy a plow?

(Insert intro)
    #10, becuse it looks cool.
    # 9 becuse chicks dig plows.
    #8, a 7.9 is just to short,
    #7 where do I get a horse?
    #6 I have contracts, just no way to fulfill them.
    #5 becuse it looks cool
    #4 I just like saying, "plow"
    #3 becuse we like doing doing your homework.
    #2 to impress dad.
    #1 becuse I, really, really want a snow plow.
    :drinkup:

18. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:Thumbs Up

19. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

So are you in the business or writing a paper?

As a college student, and someone who's in the business, its not hard to come up with, find facts prices or reasons to add snow plowing to a business on your own. Although I do give you alot of credit for coming to a good source. If you are in fact writing a paper, and not in the business, you should have stated that at first and would have received a much warmer welcome. Newbies come here all the time looking for all the answers and some people (A lot of us that come here often) get annoyed having to answer questions that owners/operators should be able to answer with some basic business knowledge (especially if they are working for themselves)

Sidenote: I was in DECA (a business club/international group) in high school and used the resources I had here to help with a project also. I was already in the business though but needed general advice.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  20. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget that you can angle it to deflect drunk drivers back into the proper lane, or into the woods. :D