1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

reasons not buy a ford

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by fireside, Oct 27, 2009.

1. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have a 2004 ford f350 6.0. The story of this truck. it was bought new Dec 3, 2003 At 2023 miles all the problems started. To date 8 turbo's( number 9 was installed),2 fuel pumps,3 sets of injectors,one intercooler,egr valves 10 times and lots of other parts due to turbo failures. Oh i forgot the complete rear end due to machining problem a ford rear end seals 12 times 58 miles between each fix. Now the truck has 54232 miles and i had a head failure, This repair is on my tab ford gives you 5 year or 100000 miles so it's out of warrenty. This is the last ford truck that i will ever buy or own. They should go out of business for what they did to all the truck owner with this junk trucks. To date this year i may have 6000 plus in repairs (ac compressor) not to bad for a truck thats only worth around 8000 here nobody wants them. so i'm stuck with it for now i just hope it makes it thur the winter this year.
  2. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Wait, I do not know much about the laws, but this truck sounds like a lemon. Did you consider looking into the legality side of it, maybe try and at least get some of your money back? Or a new Ford :p
  3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

just some quick pic of the head repair

truck repair 3.jpg

truck repair 2.jpg
  4. fireside

fireside Senior Member

state of CT lemon law does not apply to trucks over 11,000 gvw. i tried that route all ready. ford did give me a full warrenty for 5 years but that now expiered.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

It's no secret the 03-04 6.0 had a lot of problems. That doesn't mean Fords are junk though. 84k trouble free miles on my V10 with nothing other than preventative maintenance.They all have their problems, regardless of what's on the grille, the 6.0 is one to stay far away from though.
  6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I believe that the 6.0 in the 02-04 has a notoriously bad reputation. Unfortunately, it sounds like you got one of the lemons. Wouldn't a person, at some point, before you got to the 8th turbo, would have gotten rid of it? Why torture yourself with it??
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Do you expect us to believe all of that?
  9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have seen alot of problems with 6.0's and feel sorry for you. But there are alot of good 6.0's out there. I have owned 3 and loved every one. My 04 was making over 700rwhp with stock head bolts. Part of the big problem is some of the Service guys just throw parts at them. There is no way that truck went through 8 turbo's, they were just throwing parts at a problem they didn't know how to fix. And like MSS Mow said, you should have traded it in long ago.
  10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Ford are so fickle, i have owned a couple fords in my day, so far, i have had two good ones, beat the hell out of them kept going for ever. i have had about 5 bad ones, horrible mileage, early rust, transfer case issues in 4 of them, replaced numerous tranmissions, 2-3 rear ends, and the list keeps going on. Chevs/GMC's on the other hand, i have had half the issues with them, ran them just as hard.
  11. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

So why haven't you gotten rid of it?
  12. SuperdutyShane

I believe the 6.0 came out in late late 2003 correct? So you were kind of a test dumby for the 6.0 also. Unfortunately you just had bad luck. After re-reading it, I would have got rid of it on like the 3rd turbo.
  13. I worked for International Truck (Builders of the Powerstroke)

Ohhh Ya, I believe it.

The Pre 06s were total garbage. You're better taking it to a International Dealer or Heavy Truck shop with good techs. They know about all the updates (And there are Lots) than the Ford Dealers.
  14. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I buy all my trucks and equipment cash so with the slow down/no building at all around here i could not afford to get rid of it. I just bought a 06 dodge play truck/kid carrier. I did try trading it in on a dodge but the most i could get was $6000. So at this point i'm stuck. At first i told them not to fix it because it worth nothing. I have a 97 350 it starts everytime after sitting all summer it runs great.
  15. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

SELL IT already, no warranty
  16. fireside

fireside Senior Member

It's not being done at ford. It's at the local heavy truck shop. he is doing all the upgrades from head bolt to new aftermarket egr cooler it's not leaking but better safe than sorry. He is well up to date with them he fix's a ton of them with all the same problems.
  17. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

aint that something
  18. SuperdutyShane

Exactly, a friend of mine has a 2009 350 and he was having some troubles so they kept replacing stupid little things that didnt need replacing, and he is mechanically pretty smart and basically figured out the problem but Ford keeps throwing parts at it because what needs to be fixed is a big problem and they basically just dont want to do it. :realmad:
  19. fireside

fireside Senior Member

It's all true. Each time it was repaired it got new or designed parts. Most of the turbo failure's were due to bad designed oil drain tube ( it took them a year to fuigure out the problem) and lack of slot inside the turbo.
    the production date was 5/03 only if i know what i now know i would of never bought it to start with. My only hope is the class action lawsuits in south carolina and georgia work out. There are fire depts that junked these truck because of all the problems. failed during transports to the hospital motors that hydrolocked and exploded one town took a $70,000 lose just to get ride of it.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  20. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Get the headstuds, delete the egr cooler and you will be happy. If you need more info pm me.