1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reasonable with 3 trucks and a skid steer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was talking to a friends dad yesterday and he mentioned that a friend of his may be interested in having 2 friends and I do lots at one of his commercial complex's this winter.
    I've never done anything nearly this large on my own and don't know all the details yet. I'm just trying to see if this is possible with the equipment we have right now or if waiting until next year with more equipment would be better.

Specs.

30 loading docks
    320ish parking spaces
    All the driving lanes (not the streets though)
    Unsure if he wants all/some/none salted.

Here are some pics of it. It would be everything "below" Armstrong St where Dowdle and Berg go between the buildings. Red is what he have to plow, blue is the streets that we don't
    [​IMG]
    (Google maps link so you can get a better view)
    <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=berg+st+and+armstrong+st,+algonquin,+il&amp;sll=37.09024,-79.013672&amp;sspn=34.861942,78.837891&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=42.179752,-88.298836&amp;spn=0.003984,0.01369&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=berg+st+and+armstrong+st,+algonquin,+il&amp;sll=37.09024,-79.013672&amp;sspn=34.861942,78.837891&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=42.179752,-88.298836&amp;spn=0.003984,0.01369&amp;t=h&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

And a link to bing maps bird's eye view so you can look around a bit more.
    http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=24725150&encType=1

Equipment we have right now.
    02 F250 with a 7.6ft unimount
    07 2500 Cummins with an 8ft unimount
    98 K1500 7.6ft unimount with wings (9.8ft) and a snow ex mini pro 575 spreader (mine)
    Case 1845C bobcat with cab and heat. Dirt bucket and we'd buy an 8ft box pusher with a backdrag edge for loading docks.
    Atv with 48"blade for sidewalks.

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Whats your Trigger?

Service times?

And what level of service are thy looking for?

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know all those details yet, trying to find out more info. I'd guess 1" trigger for plowing and they'd want the lots salted. Most of the buisnesses are vacant right now so there is the possibility that we'd only have to have the loading docks for the active units and all the driving lanes cleared by early morning, then go back later in the day and do the other loading docks of the vacant units and cleanup the rest of the lot.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm curious more about how long it would take then if we could do it or not. I have another route on my own that would need to be done first before I could join the 2 other guys at this site. So basically it would be 2 guys there for a while then I'd join them with my truck. As for equipment they would have the f250, the cummins, the bobcat, and the atv. And lets say there is 2" of snow on the ground that has to be cleared, let's not worry about salting right now.

I could probably find a 3rd guy so they could run 2 trucks and the bobcat and then have a 4th guy and 3rd truck when I get there.

5. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

What type of plows are they using?

Bobcat have a plow/ push box or snow bucket?

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The equipment is listed in the original post. The bobcat currently has just a dirt bucket. It would get an 8ft pusher. Probably one with a backdrag edge on the front if it to pull snow away from the bottom if the loading docks. Once the snow was pulled away some the operator would spin the bobcat around and push the snow out of the loading docks into the driving isles for the trucks to get. I'd like a Kage setup but that's probably to much $$.

7. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Kage dose look like a sweet setup.

ScoopDog pushers are
    cheap units

8. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Sorry didnt see that info,

I'll try to pull up better view and do some math on the site. Give me a day or so, I'm to beat to work that hard right now, but i'll work something up for u

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That would be great. I'm totally new to something this big so I don't want to get in over my head and not give them the level of service I know that I am capable of. Otherwise I can wait until next season when I'll be in a 1ton diesel with a V or power plow and probably a vbox. So I would have 2 trucks with blades of my own then my 2 friends with the f250 and the cummins and then the bobcat with a pusher.

As for a pusher I will probably have to find one that isn't hard mounted to a quick attach plate. Some of the loading docks and lot are uneven in spots and a rigid pusher wouldn't do a good job. I'm going to need one that will let the pusher and bobcat flex a few degrees side to side so I don't leave lots of snow behind.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I just wanted to say that I am impressed with your attitude and your knowledge (as a younger guy) of the business, to know when to say "it may be to much". I am also glad to see someone is paying attention when comments (I know I've posted info on this, among others) of pushers on SS's that float independently of the machine makes an amazing difference......not just on uneven surfaces though, anytime!

Now for the location....since you live in Snowstormless, Illinois I think you could take care of that place with a leafblower & pushbroom:jester:.........seriously though, is the SS going to be dedicated to this site (parked there)?

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the compliments. I know at 19 I have a lot to learn yet but I try and offer the best service I can with the knowledge and equipment I have. I do my route as if each driveway or lot was my own and how I would want it to look when I saw it at dawn the morning after a storm.

The SS would spend it's winter there. Along with the atv if we are able to keep it inside one of the vacant units.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

With knowing that, I will tell you we do more than one location that a SS is dedicated to (parked on site), that is similar to that place. The SS's pretty much can take care of a location like that with a little help from a truck, with absolutely no problems. The pusher you chose will have an effect on the productivity greatly and operator of course will to....What kind of SS is it that would be there?

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The SS is a Case 1845c with a cab and heat. Tires about 70%. I think an 8ft would be about all it could handle.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm bad with pics, tell me how big it is in acres or sq/ft. 1 truck and a skid should be more then plenty from what I'm seeing. What's your avg snow fall. Also remember tractor trailers pack snow down in a horrible way and sometimes that makes it very hard to plow with smaller equipment. Also if there is alot of vacant units, make sure your going to get paid.

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I havnt measured it out yet. I'd say 3-3.5 acres total. I'm sure we would get paid. The owner is a good friend of the kid with the f250 and the bobcat parents.

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I havnt measured it out yet. I'd say 3-3.5 acres total. I'm sure we would get paid. The owner is a good friend of the kid with the f250 and the bobcat parents.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I would say a 8fter is all that could handle also, but that would be just fine for that site......putting some 3/4 ton rims & AT truck tires on it would make for ALOT better traction, and save on your reg. tires.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I never gave it a thought to use 3/4 or 1ton truck wheels and tires. Probably won't have time to find a decent set yet this year. I'll have to remember that though for next winter. I'll worry about getting a good pusher first then dedicated snow/parking lot tires.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'll agree with Snocrete the Skid can do it all if need be. Good Luck

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds good guys. I really appreciate the help. Suppose I should work on my search a bit harder for an 8ft box that isn't rigid mounted to the skidsteer.

What brands are built so they flex a little? Arctic, Kage, and ?
    I read somewhere that Bobcat brand pushers flex a little but I havn't seen a pic of one to know for sure.