1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reasonable Insurance Advice?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Stone Property, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Stone Property

Stone Property Junior Member

I'm new to the business in S.NJ. I obtained a 1 million dollar general liability insurance policy for 2,700.00. It only provided for residential plowing which I thought would be fine at the time. However, I just obtained a condominium complex contract and found out that that my current policy will not cover this contract. I also obtained 3 mini marts which also aren't covered. My agent told me that that is considered commercial and my new premium would be 15K plus! Is this normal? If not, does anyone have any insurance agent or company contacts or advice to provide?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

"Reasonable" and "Insurance" do not go together. You might check with some independent insurance agents, but I suspect they're all going to be about the same. That's why I don't even try for malls, hospitals or schools. That's probably why you won the condo and minimart contracts - you didn't know your costs.
  3. jimslawns

jimslawns Junior Member
    from Mid MO

Here in Good old Missouri, my commerial policy for plowing only is about 600 per year:eek:

2700 wouldn't make it worth plowing for me.

I think my total package for the year is only about 3K
  4. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Hey Jimslawns!!!

Who do you have your insurance through and maybe a number?

5. smurf76

smurf76 Junior Member

I recently started plowing, Is insurance really needed? Looking for advice on this. S. PA

01 F-250 myers
  6. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

If your taking money for plowing snow, yes you need insurance. You run your plow through someones garage door or the garage, and you took money for doing this driveway, you won't be covered.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Think about it. That's like saying - "I just bought this car. Is insurance really necessary?"
  8. bcf

bcf Senior Member

For residential plowing, if you have a construction business, you can add the plowing fairly cheaply. Mine's somewhere around $700 as well for my fence business and driveway plowing.
  9. CIVIL Group

CIVIL Group Junior Member
    from NYC

lest sort our what insurance we are referring to.
    1) There is General liability for your business. My broker quoted me 3500/ yr as a small contractor, then
    2) another 3500 on top of that for GL to add snowplowing.
    3) This does not include insurance for the truck we will use to actually plow. We will need Gen auto Commercial liability for that.
    Pls compare these to your case and then write us back please.
  10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

If you switch to subcontracting you do need slip and fall for most sizeable companies. Just general liability.