1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reason to raise prices !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SkykingHD, Sep 23, 2005.

1. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Now that the oil company's use the weather as one of many reasons to raise prices. I just wonder how many people can think of a reason to raise snow removal prices. This is just to make fun of the reasons people raise prices.

Here is my reason to raise price.

"The National Weather Service just announced a winter storm warning so I will have to up my snow plowing price by 33%." By the way the storm was in Washington state and I am in Ohio....

"I took half of our snow plow rigs out of service so I must raise the price of snow removal 50%".

Hope you all can see the humor!

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

i like your thinking, I wish I did snow removal for an oil company, I would give them those answers. I plow a couple gas stations, and I have a good relationship with the owner, so this winter I will tell them that and see what his answers is.
  3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

This is hilarious

Yesterday I presented one of my clients ( a very large C-store/gas station) with my contract for their snow removal. They looked at the price per hour and asked if this was the same that I charged them last year. I said "no last year I charged you $60.00 per hour and this year I am charging you $75.00 per hour". The manager said " that is kind of a steep price increase isn't it?" I told her that my plow pickups are Opec Suppoting Fuel Sucking Pigs and her fuel is feeding their expensive habit. She laughed and said "fair enough". I hope that the rest of my clientel are as understanding.
  4. amarino

amarino Junior Member

$75 / hour seems awfull cheap - I am new here but I thought the going rate was at least 125/hr for commercial (I am in MA).

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

prices go by regions, $125 per hour would get you laughed out of a business here. thats why it is so hard to compare pricing when they vary so much.
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Good answer.
  7. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

If I could get $125.00 hour here I would branch out to other towns and hire a crew. When I started plowing with a pickup 5 years ago the rate around town was $50.00 per hour. I have inched it up to $75.00 little by little. I know one thing, through being dependable, and alot of babysitting of clientel, I have manage to be the only one to stay alive in this profession where I live. The "other guy" quit this fall so its just me and "Backhoe Bob" as a refer to the 65 year old guy that does a couple small lots around town with his hoe. I could clean those lots in half the time with ATV's or a pickup but I don't bug him. He'll lose intrest soon enough and those two accounts will be calling. It might be this year, next year or whenever. I never went out and activly hit on other guys clientel. I just let them call me when they got tired of brand X screwing up. When I started this game with only ATV's there was 4 plow pickups working in town. Now it's just me. Don't get me wrong guys, I may be the dumbest one of the whole lot by staying in the profession!!!! My wife tests that theory quite often.
  8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have to question to myself, how much more is it going to cost me to plow this year VRS last year. I fig if gas prices hit 5 bucks a gal them it might cost me 10 bucks more an hour. With that said then I will not use the gas prices for a reason to gouge my customers....Rob
  9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

You are so right about that, can't get that money in this area.
  10. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Not to brag but I get 300.00 an hour is staten island, payup
  11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

and pay out the arse for insurance. payup
  12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I am willing to bet everyones insurance is going up and they are paying out the ass pumpkin:
  13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds really cheap over here too
  14. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Well, if the "insurance" statment was to me, I live in PA and I have a 1 million GL coverage for 850.00 a year through Farm Family. When I lived in NY i paid 3,000 a year for the same coverage,