1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reason To End A Partnership???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by X-LOWBALLER, Oct 5, 2007.

1. X-LOWBALLER

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

Found out that my partner serviced a property 3 times without my knowledge using our equipment. Pocketed the cash and even gave a little xtra to the helper. The helper fessed up and confirmed what I found out 3 days prior.

Grounds to end a 4 year partnership?

Background: Plowed a commercial property 3 times for $220 each visit and never told me.

I found out when handing out our winter contracts. One of the comm. properties next door came over to chat. He commented on how well we did when his contractor didn't show and would like a quote for the season.

My partner has no idea that I know. I may have not believed it had it not been for OUR card with OUR number crossed off and his cell number in bold lettered INK. I am torn between kickin his butt and dropping him.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

your actions sound kind of harsh to me. i would confront him first and let him explain his side of the story. maybe you need to get a good understanding of what is expected out of each other. if he falls outside of these boundries again, then get rid of him and go to work for yourself. i had a partnership in the begining and it lasted one year, it's usually the norm for partnerships to fail. i would stay on good terms with him if you do split because you may want to do business with him again someday.

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

so im guessing one of those two 07's isnt yours.
    end a partnership? sounds to me like he just found you another client. didnt put the money toward the till? talking about a few hundred bucks right? i wouldnt fret too much and as already posted have a chat. no point jumping to conclusions. hard on here because we only get one side of the story. his side might be that he had fifty grand invested and sixty hours a week into the business and you have twenty grand and fifty hours a week. depending on which partner you are is wether you should push this too hard. often one partner is dead weight. the other the actual go getter. if your the dead weight i wouldnt advise dropping him . i am kind of surprised you run a business and your posting on a board for advice on whether you should drop your business partner over four hundred dollars. lol

(not to imply that your less involved or dead weight. only you would know that. something to think about. attempting to be honest here dont take offense. i dont know you)

:rolleyes:

4. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

While some partners are dead weight, i would say that you are incorrect to use the word "often". Also, it may not be only that one time, for all he knows his partner could have done other jobs with their equipment and pocketed the money. Most importantly, even if it is just four hundred dollars, the point is that his partner is using their shared equipment for himself and not telling his partner, nor sharing the proceeds or investing it back into the business. A partnership needs people who share a common interest in the business that they are running. While i agree that dumping him right away, as right is it may seem to you right now, would be a rash decision, you need to confront him as soon as possible and also pick his brain to see if he is commited to the partnership and see if he thinks what he did is inappropriate. Im sure he wouldnt appreciate you doing the same to him. Most importantly, do what you feel needs to be done, whatever that is, just dont let your anger affect your decisions.

5. X-LOWBALLER

from Toronto

I appreciate your direct and concise remarks. I started the biz. I paid for our beginnings. I have been the ONLY one to bring in the biz. He sleeps until 3 pm during the summer and its impossible at times to get him to get out ahead of a storm.

A few hundred bucks? To me, whether its a few hundred or a few bucks, stealing is stealing. I gave him an out. I asked him if he did ANY side jobs (I asked 3 times) and his answer was a resounding NO. I am too old to play games and "chat" with someone who should have "my back". I was venting and this outlet allows me to gather opinions of non-biased professionals who may have, or are having similar circumstances surrounding their business. I have already made my decision. This company would not be what it is today without me. I would rather pay someone 15 an hour to actually help rather than 50% to drag a$$ all day.

Thank you for your opinion. A jack and sprite will help alleviate the current feelings of guiltn (for me)...for the time being.

6. Jay brown

after reading your second post i would deffentally NOT end your partnership because of him doing side work i would do it because of all of the other reasons you gave!!! fire him and go out and get some work comp ins and hire an employee and your business will flurish as dedicated as you say you are. BTW stay buddies with him so you can use him as a sub, he'll be a better worker when he has to carry his own wieght...

7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

It doesnt sound like he is is an asset at all to your business. From what you describe it sounds like he isnt dumb though and knows how to use you to his advantage. Sleeps till 3 and takes side jobs and you invested all the money. Not a good partner in my estimation.

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

what the fudge is up with that? your upset he may have done a side job and not declared income but its been okay for him to sleep all day while your working? hes a partner but he never put money in? im definatley missing something on this one. not adding up. was his job primarily to do the book keeping or general office duties, scheduling, what? did he at least put up equipment or something toward the partnership? and why did you go to your employee to verify this? i always thought involving employees in management issues was a big NO NO.

NOW IM REALLY CONFUSED. :dizzy:

think ill go have a drink too. :nod:

9. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

Hey "X", drop him and run like hell!! In this business, a couple hundred bucks can be big money! Take it from someone who has owned multiple businesses - you only know the half of what he did, believe me. As time goes on you will find out what other underhanded things he's done, trust me. I know it sounds harsh, but being a business owner and working in law enforcement, I can tell you that this type of person will only drag down you and YOUR BUSINESS. You worked way to hard getting your business up and going to let some jerk drag you down - even if he is a business "partner." You need to look out for #1, nobody else will. You will be much better off on your own, its obvious his work ethic and loyalty is not with your partnership.....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  10. Jay brown

IM MAD now!!!!!! someone is sleeping till 3PM!!!!!! in the summer we are usually on our 9th hour of work before he is even up........

11. Jay brown

o also, you might want to check your taxes to see if they have ever been paid... if you end your partnership have a lawyer do it and keep all records so you are NOT liable for all his liabilities in the future.

12. X-LOWBALLER

from Toronto

When I started the biz I made him a partner for a number of reasons. He is awesome at fixing things and did so the first night out during our first plowing storm together. Our truck broke down and he fixed it twice to save us.

He just has a problem maturing. Last year, a car cut him off during a storm at one of our gas stations and he dropped the plow and sprayed the guy while pumping gas. The guy got our number from the manager at the station we plow and called me to complain. He didnt deny it. In the beginning he was very greatful and busted his tail. He now has the "I own this biz, why do I have to do the work?"

Today for example, we have a property that has to be completed b4 11am, the helper just called and said he is still asleep and the site is an hour away. Yesterday, I had a migrane and called a customer to tell them my partner would be there to complete the work and he was furious and stated that he didn't want him there and would like to reschedule until Monday so I could do it. This guy is a major problem.

Also, last winter, he took his best friend, one of the company trucks and a ladder to remove snow from the ROOF of a commercial account that didnt belong to us. I wasnt told about it until a month later. He didnt see anything wrong with doing the work but after explaining it was OUR insurance on the line if something happened his comment was "If something did happen, we just switch companies" This is what I deal with.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  13. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

IMHO....

Get the contract set with the "new costumer". Then deal with your partner. :drinkup:

At the very least he got you a new contract. Write off last years underhanded money as a finders fee.

Find someone willing to work..... Even if it is another partner.

14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

hey X i personally think he is holding you back from growing your company to the level you wish. Doing side jobs with your trucks and then not being afraid of saying if something happens we would have switched business', you dont need any more exposure to risk in this industry than we already have. Find yourself a good crew leader and work from there, there are plenty of "grown" willing to work men who enjoy doing this industry but just arent able to manage the clients and bills, hire someone who enjoys the work as much as you. And side note about that commercial plowing you just found out he did, yeah it may have only been 600$ something then, but thats just what you know of...there are others dont think there werent.

15. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Dump him quick, I was a nice guy trying to keep my guy working, I'm now about 10,000.00 in repairs on vehicles and equipment this ungrateful employee cost me. Everybody here don't bust my a** for being stupid for not letting him go, I was just hoping he would straighten up, but it never did happen. Hire someone dependable, pay decent, don't wait till they stick it all the way in you and break it off. I was extremely busy this year, and its hard to get rid of a warm body, but there comes a time you have to cut your losses before you ruin your business that you worked so hard to grow and make respectable.

16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

sounds to me like you have a crappy employee whome you pay 50% and call a "partner".

17. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

+1

All (repeat ALL, repeat ALL) partnerships end, and almost all end badly.
    I agree with the earlier post, you only have scratched the surface on what this guy is doing.
    Dump him, move on.

18. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Are you going to drop him or keep making excuses?? Either you get rid of him, or give him a big hug cause you'll be his bi## from now on. Don't say we didn't tell you as he says, "turn over, I wan't to have a go at it from the other side" :D

19. X-LOWBALLER

from Toronto

Point taken LOL. After the last snowflake falls this winter, I will be dumping him for sure. Today, while he slept, I made us a few extra hundred doing the commercial clean ups. We would have made more but i had to pay an employee to cover his sleeping butt.

20. Jay brown

hey X, one ? for ya, does this guy have a physicall problem causing him to sleep so much? seriously, could something be wrong with him?