1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Nov 23, 2004.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

i installed that limited-slip diff in my rear end and it makes this winding nosie now i dont know if that is b/c it is a limited-slip or a bad rear end or even bad fluid b/c i know that they need special gear lube its a factory diff.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You talking about gear noise, a whine that changes with speed? Did you check gear backlash and carrier bearing preload before you changed diff and then reset those values?
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

did you just put the original gears back in? Some gear sets just make more noise. you SURE the gears are installed correctly? You used marking compound right? and everything came out happy? You have the right amount of fluid in there? What kinda limited slip? What kinda fluid? What kinda rear?

If you stick the wrong kinda fluid in a rear with a clutch type limited slip uyou just ussually end up getting a chatter.
  4. Tarkus

You do not have to remove pinion to change carrier and you really do not need to do gear paint either as long as you measure gear backlash before you change carrier and set it back to exactly the same amount with correct preload (I have done this before) and it will "sound" thesame gear wise as it did before. When you start changing the "mesh" on used gears to a different setting than they were worn into, you can have all kinds of noise problems.
  5. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

thanks guys you really helped me out i have a stock limited slip in it that came out of a blazer and the fluid is valvoline 80w-90. my old diff i just unbolted the ring gear from that one and bolted it to my limited slip. and i may sound stupid but how do you preload i may have done it but i think i just do it and i didnt know that it has a name.
  6. Tarkus

On a 10 bolt the preload is .008 thousands of a inch. You insert carrier and measure the exact amount of shims to get zero play in carrier bearings and add another .008 ths and you adjust the shims packs between the side to set backlash correctly too.
  7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Unless the Valvoline includes the additive for limited slip (it should sya so if it does) you should put in the posi additive from GM. Otherwise the clutches may chatter on corners.

Boy do I wish I thought of swapping to a posi carrier when I lost the differential pinnion shaft in my truck a couple month ago. But then I was just a week or so out of knee surgery and was paying to have it fixed too. :cry: