1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rearend

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Nov 19, 2004.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

i have a 3.73 gear open rearend and i have a 3.08 limmited slip just chillin in my garage and i was wondering if i could un bolt the ring gears from both of them and put the 3.73 ring gear on the one with the 3.08 and will that work b/c i need some kind of traction for the winter. My truck is a 79 k-10 and i guess my front axle will just have to be open.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It will work, the break is at 2.73 as I recall for the rear end in that model truck. Bear in mind that with both wheel spinning you will have more directional control issues. A little extra weight in rear of truck would go a long way in winter traction gains too.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That of course is assuming they are both ten-bolt units or twelve-bolt units....

4. Tarkus

79 K10's came with 10 bolt axles front and rear and differentails (as well as gears) that will fit in the rear will also fit in the front of that truck too unless someone has change out from stock axles assemblies in that truck.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  5. derekbroerse

I'm not so sure I would assume that. I have two '79s here, both half-tons, one 4x4 and one 2wd... BOTH have twelve bolt rears in them... (just one is five-lug the other is six of course)

6. Tarkus

The 12 bolt in a 79 is very rare and GM switched over from Dana 44 front end in 78 to 10 bolt axle and went to 10 bolt fleet wide in half tons after that. There was maybe a few 12 bolt in supply chain (and maybe a D44 or two also) that had not been used up for a year or so after switch over. Also, they where two 12 bolt rear axles and the one used in trucks had a smaller pinion shaft diameter than the one used in cars but you could you the car gears in a truck if you used a specail bearing assembly as I did a few times many years ago.

7. derekbroerse

ahhh but the plot thickens!!! The front axle is a ten-bolt.... maybe an odd combination, but that is what it is. I am probably replacing my 12 bolter with a 1991 Jimmy 10 bolt (with the 31 splined axles) with the 3.42 gov-locker b/c I have it laying around anyways...

I am quite familiar with the car 12 bolts from my Chevelle 'fleet'....

8. Tarkus

And it should be a 10 bolt in front too in a 79 as I said above. There is not a lot of strenght difference between a 10 bolt and a twelve bolt over all and 10 bolts after 89 had slightly thicker axles and more splines too and are the "better" 10 bolts to use.

9. Plowanator

Plowanator Junior Member

Ive broken a few 10 bolts in my day and even the ones with the thicker shafts dont hold up all that much better than the smaller ones. Just from my experience that is.. Also if you swap in that locker carrier.. it will throw off your back lash, all carriers are slightly different and have to be set up accordignly. Perhaps you alreay know about this but im just making sure, because replacing gears is not all that fun. I eventually found a dana 60 and a 14 bolt to get rid of those axles...bolted right in... repalce your rims with 8 lug steelies and call it good.

10. Tarkus

Bettter yet, get you a 9.5 inch semi floating 14 bolt that has 6 lug hubs and it is a bolt in if you get one from right model truck. It is a lot stronger than a 10 bolt and has more after market options to for selectable lockers.