1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rearend problems...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DodgePlow, Feb 5, 2005.

1. DodgePlow

DodgePlow Member

Hey guys,

First off I've got a 1994 Ram 2500 V10. The problem is the rear end. When I am driving straight it seems fine. When i take a sharp turn from a stop the rear end gets all jumpy. The rear end makes noise and is very jerky.

I know I have a problem, but I wanted to see if anybody might have an idea as to what is wrong before I take it to the shop.

Thanks

2. rwink1957

rwink1957 Junior Member
    from 08021

I'm assuming its a limited slip dif. Depending how severe the noise and binding is it may be the clutch packs binding which may be remedied with posi additive. I would lean towards the spider gears being faulty tho.

3. wddodge

wddodge Member

Take the cover off the differential and pay attention to see if there are any metal pieces that come out. A metalic look to the fluid is ok, a metal flake look is notice that something is coming apart. Chunks of metal is bad. :) If nothing is found fill it with fluid and be sure to include the limited slip additive. It sounds like the clutches in the limited slip are chattering for you.

Denny

4. ramit

ramit Junior Member

My 99 2500 has always done that and i just had the rearend rebuilt about 3 months ago.still does it. :confused:

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's common for shops to not pay attention if it's limited slip and forget the additive. I always remind my shop if they work on it about the front truss (so they don;t try jacking without looking) and the limited slip.

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

a lot of the mid style dodge trucks also have a lot of axle hop due too the large block used between the springs and axle. You could be feeling that as your turning the corners..

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Cheek it over?? then add some additive.. on mine, after i have been driving on the hwy for a while then turn off to get some gas the rear end would chatter allot.. It took two tubes, bottles of additive, just a little chatter now.. buts that is what you expect to have if you have an anti-spin diff..
    hopefully this will fix it???

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Also- if the hop is from driving style, or the lift blocks (I forgot about that one) and not mechanical try wider tires. I went to 265-75/R16's for summer driving and my wheel hop going around corners on wet road is almost complete eliminated compaired to the stock 245-75/R16 or 235-85R16 plow tires.
    If you don;t have the camper package you can add rear stabilizer bars- JC whitney has them for less than $100- they attach to the top of the springs at the axe and go to the frame but they don;t fit with the camper package's extra spring back.

9. DodgePlow

DodgePlow Member

Thank for all the input