1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear window defrost

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Beej1024, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Beej1024

Beej1024 Junior Member

I saw this on another forum, but people here may have more info.

I have a F250 super crew, when I'm plowing the rear windows constantly fog up. Is there something I can do to keep this from happening? I looked for a suction cup heater without much success.

2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I have the same problem, I used to open the rear sliding window a bit and that seemed to help, do you have one?
    Other problem is cold air starts blowing in there and man it gets mighty cold, my buddies GM has a rear defroster, pretty nice, I wish Ford would start offering that.
    I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them as well.
  3. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

4. victoryrider

victoryrider Junior Member

5. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

rain x makes an anti fog product to apply to internal mirrors and glass.. its on their website www.rainx.com
  6. Beej1024

Beej1024 Junior Member

Sadly I have the sliding rear window, so some of these applications to instal an aftermarket unit dont work that well.
  7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i found that leaving the drivers window open but still keeping it high enough as not to go below a vent visor works really well
  8. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

When the Fog begins to build, I put the Dial to AC with the Temperature set to HOT! It stays good and warm, but the ACis removing the moisture. The only problem is the heat only comes out the dash, but I just switch back to regular heat when it clears up. Sounds crazy, but it works. Chris
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Duh, read all the threads before you respond......I said my friend has a GM that came from the factory with a rear defrost...:dizzy:
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

exact same here
  11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Keep the front defogger on high, and crack both windows open. This should solve the problem.
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

As said above, run the A/C with the heat up.
  13. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

most vehicles when you turn it to defrost or even floor/defrost, or Mix the ac unit comes on and removes the fog. guess i will find out how well it works this year with the new truck.....last year i had a jeep wrangler with a rear defroster this year is a F150 extended cab....on top of that it has a topper so 3 windows to try and see through!!
  14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

when you get in your truck get as much snow off your shoes as possible. it will melt and fog your windows up more. keep your defrost on high, if that doesnt help maybe victoryrider will help you pay for a new chevy with rear window defrost.
  15. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

never thought of the snow on yoru shoes but it does make sence. i do notice on the way home from swim meets and my daughters hair is still wet the windows fog a lot from that.....same principle.
  16. Antnee77

from RI

Wow, I wish I had snow around here to even have this problem. :cry:
  17. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

the rest of us are wishing as well. i did get to plow some slushy sleety stuff but that is about it so far and we are getting some of that tonight as well.....and my truck is in the shop!!

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I Used To Open The Sliding Rear Window And Peek Out Thru The Narrow Opening.

Not The Best Method, But It Helped.
  19. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Are your mirrors heated?
    Maybe You should try using your outside mirrors.
    I know that can be a real PITA. My 01 truck had a topper and I just couldnt see thru it to save my life.
    So all I did was used the mirrors, you get use to it.
  20. Antnee77

from RI

Side mirrors are what's important. The rearview mirror is overrated. After driving large trucks, you will never find yourself using a rearview mirror in a smaller vehicle. I rely on my side mirrors everyday.