1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Window Choice?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Would you rather have the non slider rear window with the defrost option, or the slider window and possibly plow with it open? The defrost is nice, but I also thought maybe I could leave the slider open to see whats goin on "back there" a little better.

I never plowed with a slider window truck and am looking to buy a new truck this week.
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Have defrost on my Chevy and a power slider on the Ford. I'll be driving the Ford this winter so I think it will be getting opened and closed quite frequently.

Unless I buy myself a vbox!
  3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I like the rear defroster. I have had trucks with the window and didnt open it much.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have a slider on my Ford and it is a waste of money IMO. It came with the truck but if I was building a truck I would opt for the defrost if they offered it. I use my mirrors any way so even if its fogged up it doesn't bother me, in fact I never paid much attention to it.
  5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I have to have a sliding rear window...Thats so i can reach through and get to my cooler of beer without getting out.....:drinkup:...:dizzy:...:nod:
  6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Option C - Backup camera. :nod:

Seriously, when is Ford going to offer a rear window defroster in a super duty. Seems like that would be so much more useful than the slider that never gets used...
  7. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Wait... there's glass back there? You mean if I turn my head i'm actually supposed to be able to see stuff? I always thought that's what the mirrors were mounted on the sides for. Silly me I suppose. I guess it's nothing to worry about, my neck probly wouldn't like twisting around that far all the time anyhow...:D
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

rear defrost.....but why look back anyway?
    you do have mirrors dont you
  9. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Of course I need to see whats going on "back there" I don't want any of the chicks in the bed to fall out! :dizzy:
  10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Chicks you say? Aren't you supposed to leave them in the coop when you go out and plow? Must be a long noisy stinky night with a bunch of chicks in the back...
  11. OldColony

OldColony Junior Member
    from MA

I have found that a lot of snow comes through the rear window if you try and plow with it open, both in reverse and forward. If you don't mind getting the cab of the truck nice and damp it does help with visibility sometimes, but in my opinion it's not worth it.
  12. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

i have one on the ford but never use it.
  13. SDeVoe

SDeVoe Junior Member

I had a slider on my last truck, and leaving it open was the only way to see anything at all, it was always too foggy. I would not buy another truck with a slider, simply because there is no defroster on it. My new truck has a defroster in a solid window, and so far it has done well, but I haven't pushed any snow with it. I'm hoping it gets plenty of exercise this year though.