1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear wheels locking up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SamWJones13, Dec 11, 2009.

1. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

Hello I'm new to the site so bear with me. I have a 96 ram 2500 diesel with a boss 7'6" blow. After plowing the other day, my back wheels will lock up after it sits cold for awhile. If I put it in drive, they will eventually break loose but it doesn't sound good. The longer it sits the worse they will be locked up. I get the feeling some snow got up into the rear wheels, into the drums and will freeze after sitting for awhile. Maybe if I let it thaw out for awhile in the local self serve car wash the water will drain out. Has anyone else had these issues??? I don't feel like ripping into it right now without some ideas as it sits outside and it's still hovering around 0 here.
  2. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

With the cold weather and the depth of the snow odds are they are just frozen. The next time make sure you get the brakes warm before you park it to try and melt as much of the snow as possible
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

They are packed with snow. I ride my brakes for a bit before I park it to let them dry out
    I have thawed them with a nipco heater before too.
  4. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

That was my assumption, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar problems. I did try riding the brakes to heat em up a bit and get the water out of there, seemed to help a little. All would be well if I had a heated garage but oh well... thanks for the advice.