1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear view mirror

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bcf, Dec 9, 2004.

1. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Something's wierd with my rearview mirror. Seems when I have it adjusted to where I normally would have one adjusted, at night I can see what's behind me, but at the same time see what's in front of me. I've actually driven while looking into the mirror instead of in front of me. Very confusing. It's an '82 C30. Does anybody else with the same era truck have that problem? I was thinking maybe it's the angle of the windshield, and/or rear window combo. or maybe I just happen to have a mirror that leads to another dimension?!? :confused:
  2. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

got a regular cab with tinted rear window?
  3. btrussell

btrussell Member

I took AP Physics in high school and im not saying im an expert on the subject but it sounds like to me that your rear view mirror is ajusted at a certain angle to your rear window that causes your rear window to become a mirro itsself. Glass has a point where at a certain agle light will not pass through it but will only reflect which might be the case with your mirror being at greater than the angle to your back window. I don't know if this makes anysense cause i even have a hard time understanding it and I am probably wrong but it does have something to do with reflection. Does this happen when your mirror is adjusted at other angles? A real physicist could let you know. Ok I'm done rambling.
  4. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Yes, it's a reg cab, but no tint. I have tried adjusting it so the arm is as far up to the roor as it can, and as far down, but the same thing. When I have it adjusted so I can see the back of the bed it works fine. Of course, pointed there it is jsut as useful as mirroring what's ahead. must just be the angles.
  5. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

i do not recomend driving with the rear veiw mirror because of itsd name. REAR VEIW mirror.
  6. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

well, i ask because this is the first reg cab truck i have ever owned and get a similar issue.. at night when i look in the mirror, i can see all of the lights in the truck reflecting off of the rear window when i look into my mirror.. can get annoying.. i find myself driving with the dash lights etc pretty dim..
  7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The rear window acts as a mirror. I can read my dash perfectly in my day/nite mirror.
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Maybe its a different angle b/c I am tall? (6'-3")

Can't say that I've ever noticed this problem, even with the windows tinted as they are.

Now that you mention it I will be looking for it and have the same problem as the rest of you. Thanks alot, guys :p
  9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Took me over a year to notice it. But now I can look up to see what time it is.???