1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rear view camera for plow truck???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowcrazy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Lets start out by saying i am 100% a rookie that had a big job fall right smack in my lap!!!
    I have worked for a company for about 4 years now taking care of a strip mall as side money. basically 5 days a week i change outside trash, clean up the strip mall, and show available spaces to interested tenants. The parking lot is equivalent to say a kroger parking lot. They begged me for the past 2 years to get a plow truck and they would make it worth my while. I have mowed the strip mall property for years and thats how I got in good with the owners.

Anyways to my problem. the vehicle Im using is my 3/4 ton 2004 chevy. My problem is I cant see squat out the back of my truck when im backing up. With a skid of salt and the salt spreader. I mean Im using my mirrors but i still cant see whats directly behind me and with this being a strip mall there are people running around everywhere..... I have a back up alarm and osciliating light but that doest assure I wont hit something/someone. so my idea was to put a rear view back up camera on the truck MOBILE. Mobile as in wireless to where I can have the cam mounted on the top of the snowex 1075 frame and can be taken off very easily. Im sure the camera wouldnt do squat when being pounded by salt.

Is this something anyone on here has tried or am I crazy???

Yes I am more than likely a little over my head and yes I am a rookie so folks dont bash me to bad. Sometimes this site is a little rough on folks with the crazy arguements. Just want some opinions/information especially if someone has tried this before.

Thank you very much Robin Wash Ohio

2. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I think its a good idea, i was thinking about doing the same.
    I want to put it on the back of my sander but, i think it will just get covered with snow driving from place to place.

I guess you can get out and wipe it off if that happens.

i still may give it a try, there are alot of wireless ones available that are pretty affordable.

im sure someone here has one....

Anyone??

3. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

The camera will definitely get covered with snow, and may be short lived if subject to roadway salty mist.
    Also, the lens will probably constantly fog over.

I have one mounted "inside" my skid steer.
    It works great, except when cold, because if fogs over.

Good luck.

4. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I never even gave the fogging up a thought but I bet your right. Thats a darn shame, I wonder if that anti-fog solution on the lense would work???? I works wonders on my racecare helmet shields but I know thats totally different.....

As for the raodway salt, I was planning on only having the camera out when Im plowing, then when I get ready to salt I would just simply take it off the spreader frame and put it back into the truck. I figured mounting it on a strong magnet. I know, sounds like a lot of trouble but just trying to be safe.....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Its not worth it just more to go wrong on a platform that will itself have many things go wrong.

6. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

I found it really hard to use the camera screen backing up. Just too many things you cant see. I don't know the lot your plowing, but do you need to carry a full skid of salt? If so knock the pile down so you can see. Yes you will have to handle the bags one more time, but it beats backing into something. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Love my back up camera, been using it for 3 years now. If you buy a good quality camera with weather proof connections you will love it. It has saved my butt more than once. Well worth the $300.00.

Regards Mike

8. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Yessir I do need to carry the full skid of salt and I do knock it down to where I can see over the salt but then there is the snowex 1075 right in my view.

I know people plow every day under the same circumstances as Im under right now and maybe im just being a little over cautious but im about 5' 6" and am having a hell of a time seeing. Hey maybe I can get my little midget a$$ a pillow or something to sit on. Seriously though, maybe that will help me out. Prolly not but I Im gonna go out now and stack a few pillows.

9. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Hey mike, Could you give me a little inside info on your camera???? What brand, etc.

Does your camera lense fog up on you. Man please send me a reply back, I got snow coming 2morrow and I don't care how much it costs. If there is one out there that will hold up under nast conditions and you can see out of the screen when its cold thats great.

do you have it mounted where salt gets on it??? I don't think im gonna do that either way but if you are getting salt on it and it lasted 3 years thats what im gonna get.

Thanks again mike..........

10. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

Better to over cautious in crowded parking lot. Camera will help, I just like to have my head up against the rear glass when backing up( I have a Reg Cab truck). I would have to look forward and down to see the camera. Oh, and I understand the height thing. Stay safe and have fun!!

11. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I bought it from www.RearViewSafety.com, no it doesn't fog up, has night vision. You do have to get out ever once and awhile and wipe the lens off but I mounted mine under the dump insert so I could also see my spinner head on my salter so it gets a little spray from that. I am going to order another camera as the monitor has a split screen option or you can switch from one camera to the other, so I want to mount one on my cab guard so I can see the inside of the dump. I can post pictures if you want.

Regards Mike

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  12. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I would like to see some pics of your install when you have the time.

Thanks

13. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

I use this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNOeTakCr8

We sell them at our store. Love the portability and versatility. You can put it anywhere. I use it for tight spots, you can even use it for driving into your plow if your not very good at it. When you hit the road, just take it off and put it in the truck so it doesn't get full of snow. I have never had it fog up on the truck, it only fogs if you bring it from cold to warm.

14. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

seems like a great idea if you could get all the little kinks worked out. let us know how it goes if you do decide to mount one

15. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I plow with a F350 with a dump body, so no rearview through the bed. I've added a backup alarm and concealed strobes, rely on good split towing mirrors, and don't generally backup faster than walking speed. The idea being if by some awful chance I don't see someone, they'll hear or see me and have time to move out of the way. The camera sounds nice, but I think it would be too much of a headache to keep it clean.

16. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Which one did you purchase? I see they have a heated one and different screen options.

17. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I can't get used to backing up and only using the camera, i have an Acura suv with one but i never use it.

18. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I think that is another thing that is hurting me, not only am I short but my truck is a 4 door so my head is nowhere near the back glass.

By the way, I appreciate everyone staying positive on this subject. I know some folks think its a waist and would be if you had the right setup but im plowing at a mall where there is folks running around everywhere so im just trying to be careful!!! Appreciate all the posts so far.

Went to several stores today looking for these types of cameras but the ones at the local stores around here have a 2.5 inch screen. Now Ive got good vision but im not sure if you could see a light pole from 30 feet away it would be so small. Im looking towards like maybe a 5" screen or better. I went to an rv dealership and they had some really nice cameras that would for sure work but these were in the Thousand dollar and up range. I just don't wanna do that just yet...... Only if I have to I guess but...................

19. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I just checked out their site and the products look top notch.
    They have a heated one that i am going to order for the back of my sander.Thumbs Up
    After the season is over im gonna mount it under the bumper..

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050