1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Veiw Camera

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Midwest, Oct 18, 2004.

1. I have been looking into putting a rear veiw camera on my rig. I have a 01 chevy 3500 ext with dump bed, fisher plow and henderson 8' spreader. My side mirrors are great for reversing, but with the bed being so wide and the spreader taller than my line of site, i'm concerned of hitting something. I
    have an indash dvd player and can hook up a camera to this. Does anyone run one or can anyone recommend a camera I can use.
    thanks payup
  2. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Hi I just think that it would be hard to keep clean from snow and dirt .It sounds like a good idea but keeping it clean would be a problem .My 2 cent
  3. thanks for the input, I am worried about that as well. I was thinking of mounting on top of my headache rack and have some sort of barrier on the top and sides to help this. what I really need is one of the cameras they use on top of the nascar cars that can clean the screen independantly :eek:

from pa

u can always call nascar :alien:
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We just installed one on our F750 last year. It worked great. The only time it was covered quickly was if there was a lot of light, dry snow on the roads. Otherwise we would wipe it off when we got back to load up with salt again.

I can't remember wat the brand was, though. We got it from our truck builder\upfitter. It was about $500 for a B&W model which works fine. Same as our insurance deductible.
  6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Before you mount it on your headrack here are a few tips...

1. Cameras require a SOLID mounting surface. Headache racks can vibrate even at an idle making for a very poor picture.

2. Most cameras made for rear-view monitoring have a wide angle lense and are made for mounting at the rearmost point of the vehicle. Mounting it in the middle of the truck can completely distort the angles and characteristics of the camera.

3. Almost every garbage truck in America has a camera on it now. Those trucks get very dirty and they don't seem to have a problem.
  7. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

I put one on both my 350 pickup and on my 550 dump. I got mine at a local TV audio store they were a lot less then a big truck shop. 7" color monitor and camera for around 200.00
  8. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

I've been thinking of the same thing. I can't really see the back of the truck very well for hitching to trailers, and I'm getting a pullplow on Nov. 6th. I think it will be handy to have the cam with a pull plow.
  9. Thanks for all the help guys, its been very useful. I am currently shopping around for the right kind of camera. Good comparason: "cheaper than insurance deductable" that sums it all up. Any other tips would be appreciated and I'll let you know what I come up with.
  10. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

i was thinking about putting a camera on my dump truck that would point into the dump body so i would know how much sald i have left or when it is time to raise the dump up a little bit...just an idea
  11. That was another reason why I was thinking of installing one. Heck, I also thought of running a second camera that would be mounted inside the salt hopper (night vision) under the tarp to monitor my salt deployment. Then have a video switcher mounted in the cab. Sounds like a perfect world, doesn't it :drinkup: