1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rear Veiw Camera

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PR Fect, Jan 1, 2014.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

I finished mounting the monitor for our new rearview camera. This truck is used by the side walk crew. With the cap all salt, spreaders, and shovels stay dry, unfrozen and do not need to be unloaded after each storm. But the trailer that hauls the snow blowers was hard to see behind the truck. The camera is in the 3rd brake light high mount on the cap. Very nice system.

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

More info please... What type of camera, how did you mount it, pictures?

3. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

The camera/brake light was an option when we purchased the Jason truck cap. Its a Zuncin Pro back up camera with high mount brake light. We then picked up the monitor, cable, and junction box, and mount from Rear View Safety. rearviewsafety.com Great guys to work with. If you go to Jasons website or rear view safetys you can see what they have.

IMG_2378.jpg

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

O ok. Pretty cool, I was thinking this was something you cooked up yourself.

5. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Nope, just the install. And that was a harder than I thought. Those newer trucks are not like the old ones! Not much room under the dash for accessory electronics. I had to get my 23 year old son who is a diesel mechanic to help me out. I could not find any accessory power in that mess under there.

6. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

one of the guys I see at the salt yard has one build on the back of his spreader

7. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Yes I have seen that before. Being able to see your spinner and spread pattern I would think is a big help. You do need to have the night vision camera. But most all the quality ones are now.

8. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

sometimes those light poles sneak up behind too

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I use mine to see the spinner and to see when my under tailgate sander is full or empty. Wish I had looked at it when I had a 5 k "misjudgement" !

plow and car dam 004.jpg

plow and car dam 001.jpg

plow and car dam 014.jpg

10. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Going to be getting one of these soon as we just had a little run in with a railing. Still waiting to hear how bad the fall out is going to be from that.

11. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

Very nice set-up. I think I'll be looking into something like this as well... too many pucker-moments in last night's storm.

12. leigh

from CT

I've actually stopped my truck, gotten out and taken a look around to to convince myself there's nothing back there! One thing that would be nice is a camera with less of a wide angle view. It's tough to get good perspective of distances. Looked on line and can't seem to find one.

13. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Leigh, have you seen the ones that have the distance grid on them? Mine had it on there but I cut the little green wire the projects the grid because I did not want to see it. Very accurate.

14. leigh

from CT

My brother in law has that in his new chevy 3500. Looks like something you would see in a plane for landing.

15. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Here's my setup. Works great[​IMG]

16. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

bad assed!

17. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Still gotta get out every so often but its helps bigtime

18. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

How do you get multiple cameras on one screen

19. leigh

from CT

One at a time, there's a button that cycles through the cameras. Mine can handle 3.

20. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

I've had a "Rear View System (Safety)" On the rear of my BCat for 4 yrs now, bought it specifically for snow removal ….. in a Skid-steer 90% of the time you can't see out of the back window if you tried, it's usually iced up or covered with snow build-up or just plain crap …. with the camera there are NO blind spots, better than a rear view mirror ….It has been Flawless, the Night vision is amazing no one can sneak in behind you. The camera I got with my system is one that is heated (extra night vision LED's) it generates enough heat to never fog or ice up, even if there is snow dust blowing it'll keep the camera screen clear.

I have a second camera (when needed) can be quickly mounted on a tripod on the cab roof (3-wing nuts and the camera plug-in) to view inside of a dump trucks box when I use my big snow-blower to load trucks, you can see and fill every corner without over blowing the far side of the box too !

It stays on the BCat year-round comes in pretty handy in those tight landshaping jobs or what ever ……… I'll never own another machine with out one !!! …………… Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up ……………

On the RVS site there are viewing screens available that have either a split, quad view or more to view all cameras at the same time as an upgrade fee …. I've got the identical 7" screen as leigh's …. if there was any doubt in anyones mind about this I hope this "point of view" helped !!! …..:drinkup: